Is it normal for our cars to stall when it is cold? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for our cars to stall when it is cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal for our cars to stall when it is cold?

This morning I started my car and it idled around 1800-2000rpm for like 15-20 seconds before it shut off. It took me two more tries after that to get the car started. It also happened once yesterday.

No, that isn't normal. Is the SES light on?

If there is no SES light on, then I'd try changing/doing these;
    -Fuel filter
    -Spark plugs ~n~ wires
    -Air filter
    -A bottle of Chevron (with techron) Fuel Injector Cleaner
    -Fill up the tank with at least 89 (or more) octane just incase you got a bad tank of gas during the last fill-up
    -Seafoam the engine

[ December 06, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: hockeyman ]
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the IAC valve. Trying spraying it out with some TB cleaner. Also never hurts to keep it tuned up like Hockeyman suggested.
      1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Eh I bought some fuel injecter cleaner but I have a full tank of gas...I might be down to a half a tank in a week or two. Would a half a tank be good enough?

Comment

half tank is fine ....use a whole can of seafoam in the tank and half in a vaccum hose going into throttle body (it will smoke) and half in oil then change your oil after you take it for a spirited drive around the neighborhood to burn off the stuff in the TB
          3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

Ok I just bought two cans of sea foam. I used one can for a vaccum hose and the crankcase as directed. The car runs like 100x better now. It started up really smooth and is now idling at like 850(it used to be around 1200). It also accelerates much better. One problem though, my SES light it on. I'll be changing my oil tommorow, will that fix it?

It is bad to use fuel injector cleaner and sea foam in the gas tank at the same time, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris52:
              I'll be changing my oil tommorow, will that fix it?

It is bad to use fuel injector cleaner and sea foam in the gas tank at the same time, right?
              No, and not really.

Changing the oil won't get rid of an SES light. There is a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed. If you have an autozone near you, go to them asap and get it scanned for free. They'll tell you why the light is on, and offer the product(s) they have to fix it.

I've used seafoam and fuel injector cleaner in the same full tank without any probs. Although, I didn't use the whole can of seafoam, just half.
              sigpic

Comment

The SES light went off. woot.

Comment

probably a misfire during the seafoam process. Ive heard of it happening.
                  Mystic Teal Metallic
                  ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

Ok...it seems to be getting worse. Yesterday when I started it it went down to about 200 rpm and stayed there. I turned it off the and the engine did not stop running. It took a few more tries but it started. After it gets warmed up it seems to work fine. But this engine still running after I took out the key tomfoolery kind of confuses me.

[ December 28, 2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Chris52 ]

Comment

Every now and then when I start it it makes a terrible loud noise. I'm not really sure how to describe it...maybe a tin can being put through a blender or a metal lamp being run over by a lawn mower. The sound goes away after I give it a nice rev.

EDIT:

Here is what it sounds like: http://themessageboard.net/Camaro.wmv

[ February 05, 2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Chris52 ]

Comment

that is the starter hanging up time for new
                        starter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X