Maybe Misfire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Misfire???

Ok I've been trying forever to find out why my car is running rich and i wanted to ask you guys if by chance this sounds like a misfire or something like that to you... ok here is all that happens

1.) Very Rough idle at start up
    2.)Vibrates really bad and very jumpy, but sometimes if i revv. it up to about 4500rpm. it will stop and sometimes it gets worse, it's really bad when the motor is colder
    3.) Poor gas mileage
    4.) Running rich
    5.) Takes a few seconds for start up
    6.) I also get a code but the code doesnt stay on long enough for me to get to AZ to scan it and it comes on about everytime i drive 1-3 times each time

Tell me if that sounds like a misfire to you guys if it is I'm prolly gonna go get some MSD Coils, MSD wires, and some NGK plugs

thanks.....
    Last edited by black95maro; 02-03-2007, 01:27 PM.

Re: Maybe Misfire???

Tell my if that sounds like a misfire to you guys if it is I'm prolly gonna go get some MSD Coils, MSD wires, and some NGK plugs

1-5=yes
    while you have it apart, take off your ig. mod. and take it to auto zone and have it tested...

just did mine last night.... laying in the snow... 10 deg. out.... good times, good times, lol....

Comment

so best bet is to replace it all and have the ig. module tested (not the most advanced on the ignition system so where is this exaclty and what is it?)...does AZ do that for free? i need to wait till its a little bit warmer here its in the teens lol
      Last edited by black95maro; 02-03-2007, 01:38 PM.

Comment

ig. mod. is under your coil pack's, some auto zone's can check your coil pack's too... from what i've read on this message board, any one of them (plugs/wires/coil pac/ig. mod.) can cause miss-fire, the fun part is figuring out which one...

Comment

So i should prolly start with the stuff that they can test im thinking.....

Comment

yep, i would.
            unless you live in the middle of nowhere, like me lol....
            Last edited by v-6dailydriver; 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM.

Comment

the code should still be there in history even if your ses light is not on.
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Yeah, the code will be stored in the history of your computer. Without that code we can't tell you ecactly the problem.

It is going to be plugs/wires/coils/pcv valve/ or an exhaust leak. Go get it scanned asap.

Comment

well i put some NGK plugs in tonight an that helped it an awful lot still running a lil rich but not bad im gonna get some wires because mine are about shot and hopefully that will solve it .....ill still get it scanned at let u guys know what comes up

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                    the code should still be there in history even if your ses light is not on.
                    are you sure? ive always been led to believe that obd1 cars dont keep the codes stored, hence why you have to have it scanned while the SES light is on.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
                      are you sure? ive always been led to believe that obd1 cars dont keep the codes stored, hence why you have to have it scanned while the SES light is on.
                      Good point. I forgot we we're dealing with a '95(OBD1) computer. Since the SES light comes on sparatically I would say change your wires since you say they are shot, and while you are putting in the wrench time check for an exhaust leak.

Also, what about your cat? Is it old, or could it be going bad yet?

Comment

Originally posted by black95maro
                        well i put some NGK plugs in tonight an that helped it an awful lot still running a lil rich but not bad im gonna get some wires because mine are about shot and hopefully that will solve it .....ill still get it scanned at let u guys know what comes up
                        black95, i'll admit it, i'm a tight wad... but... when it comes to wire's on these cars, get [B]GOOD ONES[B]. msd/taylor exc... i put on the "top of the line" one's from advance, and 6 mo. later i was changing them again (burned up plug boot).:mad:

Comment

I replaced all of that stuff coil plugs wires and icm and it still misfires

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
                            Also, what about your cat? Is it old, or could it be going bad yet?
                            I dont have a cat lol....

Originally posted by Vanquish
                            black95, i'll admit it, i'm a tight wad... but... when it comes to wire's on these cars, get [b]GOOD ONES[b]. msd/taylor exc... i put on the "top of the line" one's from advance, and 6 mo. later i was changing them again (burned up plug boot).
                            The ones I have are Taylor's but when i was taking them off for the new plugs to be put in the metal clamp inside the boot came off 2 of them...I was even being careful (by like twisting the boot as i pulled). They are the spiral pro's now so they arent junk i dont know why they fell apart on me owell, but i think im gonna go with the thundervolt now...

Comment

Originally posted by black95maro
                              i dont know why they fell apart on me owell, but i think im gonna go with the thundervolt now...
                              that sux... did you put silicone greese on them?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X