Knock knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock knock

I have a 94 camaro that I bought about 2 years ago and put in storage. I have started it up about every week or two to make sure it still runs (and because I like to sit and it and pretend to drive haha). I finally got my license today and took it out for a drive. First off I was a little impressed by it's power because everyone on this site kinda talks about the 3.4 like a slow piece of crap. Anyway, it's a 5 speed and even though I've been driving standard since I was 12, I'm stil; no pro. So I had the car in 5th gear going about 45 and I gave it a little gas. When I gave it gas, I heard some clunky/banging sounds coming from under the hood. Mostly from the drivers side. I just filled it up with 93 octane gas and it has newer plugs and wires. Why is it making these noises? Is it pinging? Could there be a lot of carbon build up from running it without actually driving it? Also, I noticed that when I rev it over 2500 rpm it coughs up rusty water? Why is that? Sorry for the huge post and questions but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
    97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
    98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Re: Knock knock

where is this rusty water coming from?
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
      where is this rusty water coming from?
      probally the exhuast.

5th and only going 45 is kinda chugging it, maybe thats what you heard. i dont really know how to describe it, usaully you just feel it, wouldnt call it a clunk/bang.

does it only do it in 5th?
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

If the rusty water is coming out the exhaust then don't worry. It is probably just condensation washing out the rust from the long storage period.

The knocking may have been "lugging" the engine in high gear.

Add a bottle of Techron to your gas tank. Check all the fluids and drive it. Make sure you get it up to full temperature.

Comment

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyya!
          ooookaaaaay!
          whhhaaaat!?
          sorry I had to ;)
          love the name
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

you should expect a lot of carbon build up from just running it and not driving. you need to change your oil and get new gas. using any other gas than the recommened (87) could result in difficult starting and will not help your engine. it will not burn better, you will not get better performance or gas mileage, your just wasting money. as for the sound, who knows, maybe you have a broken motor mount.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I'm going with an above poster above on the "chugging" thing.

IN MY CAR, I usually shift into 5th gear at about 50 mph. Below that, especially around 45 as you say you were going it will "chug" as it tries to accelerate. Also I would due a full tune up as recommended.

~Ja~

1995 Pontiac Firebird
              3.4 V6
              5-Speed Manual

Comment

haha... going 45 in fifth will sound like crap.... I am always in 4th at that speed. Unless I am racing then that is perfect 3rd gear powerband. lol

Comment

yeah I've finally got the hang of when to shift and now 45 in 5th just seems crazy. Could the excess carbon build up that BLLDOGG was talking about lead to pinging under high load (like going 45 in 5th). It doesn't just do that in 5th, any time it is in a gear or two too high. Could this call for Seafoam? The cars never seen seafoam that won't hurt it will it?
                  97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
                  98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

if its ever in a gear that is too high its going to chug, its not just 5th, you have to understand the mechanics of it to realize what you are doing

Comment

Alright so I went to get an inspection sticker today and I couldn't because it was misfiring real bad. Sooo I replaced the spark plugs and that didn't do anything, but the old ones did have a lot of carbon on them and they're only about 5000 miles old. So then I replaced coil pack number 2 and my car runs like new again. Feels so much better.So yeah I'm pretty proud that I was able to fix it myself. Good learning experience.
                      98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X