Random wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random wire

Today I was driving around in crappy vermont weather and ended up sliding into a snow bank and had to be pulled out. Now when going around 50mph or so and higher the steering wheel shakes. I'm pretty sure it's just a wheel bearing or something as there was already a "clunking" noise when I turned hard left. Anyway when I got home I popped the hood to see if there was any visible damage and I happened to notice this random gray wire with a black connector on it. I don't see anywhere where it would plug into. Does anyone know what this wire goes to?
    http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5025/wire001wb0.jpg
    http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/1497/wire002ur0.jpg

*Edit* I forgot to put this in electrical.
    Last edited by VTJosh; 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM.

Re: Random wire

hey, I think we got a bit of the same snow storm in the past couple of days as I'm not very far from you in Montreal. I'm not sure what that wire is, but my best guess would be its for an option that your car doesn't have. Car manufactures put in all the wiring for most options in the factory, and then when you select the option from the dealership they can have it fitted easily. So don't worry about it.

The other thing is that your shake is probably from a bit of snow or ice on or in your wheel from the snow bank you hit. I find this happens often on my beater because I have hub caps that tend to get snow and ice build-ups and it throws off the balance of your tires. It really doesn't take much to throw off the balancing of your tires. I'm sure if you were to take a look under the car you'd see some ice or snow stuck or wedged somewhere in your wheels. If so just let it melt or scrape it off.

Comment

could have bent somthing when you hit the pile. the wire is nothing and normal. meant for use on another car
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Alright cool. Oddly enough there was a bunch of snow packed into rim, so I kicked it out and cleaned up the wheel well pretty good and what do you know, the vibration is gone. Thanks alot, I never would have guessed that snow was causing that.

Comment

Strangely enough, after getting my car back from the dealership for the 2nd in a week, I noticed the same wire today. I never noticed it before, Im not sure if I should worry with it. And just for the record, yeah, I gotta take the damn car back in the morning. Apparently the trained mechanic cant find a leaking heater hose going into the heater core, but I can. Its so nice to know that paying someone $1100 bux gets your TPS changed, A/C fixed, but then you take it back 3 times for a mysterious water leak, cut wires on the wiring harness, missing bolts/screws, and retaining clips which werent there before hand. Usually, I wouldnt be such a pain in the *** for someone like this, but I rarely have to shell out that much money for anything. But when you spend a buttload of money like I just did, you want the job done and done right. I dred tomorrow...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by LarryMow
            I noticed the same wire today. I never noticed it before, Im not sure if I should worry with it.

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
            the wire is nothing and normal. meant for use on another car
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by VTJosh
              Alright cool. Oddly enough there was a bunch of snow packed into rim, so I kicked it out and cleaned up the wheel well pretty good and what do you know, the vibration is gone. Thanks alot, I never would have guessed that snow was causing that.
              As a Canadian I knew my winter-savyness would eventually make a contribution to this board!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X