Alternator bearing help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator bearing help!

Ok. My 99 WS6 has torn through 3 alternators. It just chews through the bearings. My OE died at like 126k. I bought a AutoZone reman. 2 weeks later, bearings are gone. Got another one under lifetime warrenty. Bearings were blown as soon as I turned the car on. So I got pissed and bought a BOSS HO 160(amp?) alternator. It has worked for 2 months. Now the bearings in it are shot.

What would cause a LS1 to chew through alternator bearings. Because I have replaced everything ( idler, tensioner and pully, belt, water pump ) so I don't know what is going on. Please help!
    99 WS6
    13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
    tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Re: Alternator bearing help!

The only things I know that could take out bearings like that would be; too much tension or something is out of alignment.
    2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

how would it be mis aligned? and i don't think it could have been too much tension because i have a brand new tensioner
      99 WS6

Comment

I'm just saying, that's the only things I know that could affect all of them.
        2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

1st replacement went out because it was a reman from autozone
          2nd replacement went out because it was a reman from autozone
          3rd went out because it was a BOSS

If you do not pay for a quality part, you do not get a quality part. Doesn't life seem so much simpler now? Go buy a new alternator from a dealership. God only know that your first gm alternator lasted only 126K.
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

hm... are there any Higher Output OEM alts that will work for our cars? Even if I have to do a little custom fabrication
            OEM = AC Delco?
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yeah, OEM is Delco. any high outputs? don't know. could look at accessories or call your dealer.

Comment

Boss is supposed to be the bomb. Thats why i bought it. I dunno.
                99 WS6

Comment

Isn't AC Delco GM's Reman? and Delco-Remy the new high dollar stuff?

Comment

^^^^ Omg, if that is true that is so ****ing funny
                    99 WS6

Comment

I agree with BLLDOGG, when it comes to parts that are essential to the car operating, get Delco parts, even if they cost more. Aftermarket is hit and miss and usually seems to be junk. I've learned the hard way.....several times.
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...spagenameZWDVW i bought this several months ago and i couldnt be happier honestly

Comment

dmw319 bought an eBay HO and it died like a week later. :\ Delco is alright, it sucks that the BOSS I have is a pos.
                          99 WS6

Comment

yea my ebay HO alternator sucked. i have a bosch that i got at NAPA and its worked great ever since.
                            Dave:
                            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Ac Delco sells new and reman. I would still trust a Delco Reman over any other brand, new.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X