96 loosing antifreeze and leaking oil - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 loosing antifreeze and leaking oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 loosing antifreeze and leaking oil

:eek: my 96 rs has 99,980 miles on it. 3800 engine i have had it since 75,000 miles and the oil leak is getting worse it is dripping on the y pipe. i had new valve cover gaskets installed a while back and that took care of a front oil seep. now here is the real question. the car runs very cool always at 180 degrees even when you sit in traffic it takes a long time for the temp to reach high enough for the cooling fans to kick in and it drops back to 180 degrees. tonight i was going on a 100 mile round trip about 3 miles i looked down and the temp guage was creeping to the halfway mark rapidly then as the thremostat kicked in it quickled went down to normal then back up a little then settled back to normal. i stopped to check the water and the engine was running fine not hot. but when i checked the water it was over a 1/2 gallon low which i refilled with a 50/50 mix. made the trip fine. this is the second time this has happened i never smell antifreeze or see it leaking. now 2 people have checked the oil leak and both say the intake gasket is leaking does the 2 issues match up oil leak and antifreeze loss. i always change the oil every 3500 miles and use synthetic oil and the old oil look s fine when i change it. OK ANOTHER PROBLEM low oil pressure guage is reading right as i hooked up a mechanical guage to the engine it is holding 25 psi at idle tonight when i started it up light came on check guages i looked and oil pressure was at or near red zone tapped the gas peddle pressure came back up and light went off. drove 50 miles visited for a while when i started the car back up same thing reved the engine a little pressure came back up and light went off. the guage never reads halfway going down the highway. it has never knocked or rattled but i am not driving it untill i get thes fixed. i use 10w30 full synthetic oil. this is a convertible it drives and rides great i just love the car have a 03 tahoe that sits under the carport i rarely drive it. gotta get the camaro fixed. thanks i know this is a long question but many of you know the answers. steve

Re: 96 loosing antifreeze and leaking oil

pic of my rs
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: 96 loosing antifreeze and leaking oil

finally slowed down and took a look over the engine . and the problem is a bad intake gasket. changed oil last week with full synthetic and only put about 300 miles on it. took off the oil cap and wow there is my lost antifreze. the oil has about 4 quarts of it in it also. the engine is still fine since i didnt overheat it or drive it long enough to eat the bearings up. my oil pressure problem is because the oil is half oil and half water. we are going to start fixing it tomorrow. i will try to take pictures of the gasket replacement. steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X