Random Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Acceleration

I kinda threw this question in another thread and didn't get any response. I have a '96 Camaro, it had the basics done to it, wires, plugs, coils, timing chain, intake seafoamed, etc..

The car randomly and sporadically will rev up as high as 3k rpms. It's a cabled throttle and it has no slack. I pulled on it to make sure it's not binding. It normally idles around 900rpm. It does idle a bit rough, the voltage gauge spikes down to less than 13 from about 14v when the car is at idle.

I have read quite a few threads, haven't been able to pinpoint anyting specific as of yet. Any ideas?

Re: Random Acceleration

have to checked the belts, alternator, etc...

i'd check the belt tensioner as well
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Sounds like a sensor problem to me. Any codes? Maybe TPS, IAC...

Comment

I've got the same problem minus the rough idle and voltage spikes.. if in nuetral, it revs to exactly 3K rpms, and when i let off the throttle in drive, i slowly accelerate instead of decelerate..
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
          I've got the same problem minus the rough idle and voltage spikes.. if in nuetral, it revs to exactly 3K rpms, and when i let off the throttle in drive, i slowly accelerate instead of decelerate..
          Yeppers that is what I experience. I believe the idle hesitation when it isn't revving is a separate problem altogether. I have no SES codes. I was thinking a sensor problem as well and maybe even MAF. I do not have any manuals other than a haynes manual. I'd like for someone to post test procedures for the different sensors, resistance values, etc... if they have em and would be so kind. I have not been able to find a download location for an FSM. Any help with that?

THX

Comment

you guys must have auto tranny... ever think the problem is there?

Comment

I had the same problem; feels like your vehicle is taking over and your foot is tap dancing on the gas pedal which seems to fallen further right? Plus it would rev higher while upshifting and I have a M5 stick shift so it can't be prone to A4 transmissions only. You would think your cruise control is stuck. Occurs in the morning at random too.

I would suggest disconnecting the battery at the negative post for a solid day or two. I've done this and I can't replicate the problem anymore. There has to be an explanation for this but I've seen where my tach would rev up to 2500 rpm and I'm sitting in traffic.

Call your GM service dealer for specifics, they may have a solution. They probably have seen it all.
              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

yeah and the will ask for your life in payment

Comment

do an idle relearn it can't hurt to try all you do is disconnect the battery for like 10 - 15 minutes then hook it back up and start the car and take it for a drive but take it easy so it can learn its idle again,
                  95 camaro 3.4auto, 3:23 gears, K&n intake, jet stage 1 chip, clear corners, flowmaster 80series, carsound cat,

Comment

I have a manual tranny. I'll try disconnecting the negative terminal, hopefully it'll help. Thx

Comment

Sounds like a vaccum leak, make sure the hose is plugged in on the passenger side of the T.B. Thats probably where they put the seafoam in at.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well i unplugged the negative terminal for bout an hour. the car ran fine on the first run, although there was minimal stop 'n go. When I get back home saturday i'll drive through a stop n go highway. Thx for the suggestions.

Comment

i dont think it'd be a vacuum leak... the car would have a noticably rough idle then... its always good to check cuz its easy (just probe around with a length of hose to your ear listening for a hissing sound at idle) but my money is gonna have to be on a funky cruise control. If its a cabled TB, then (iirc) if the cruise control is engauged, it'll hold the pedal in that position and when CC is turned off, then it'll snap back to where it is when the throttle is completely closed. If the pedal is acting like that then the CC must be turning itself on somehow.
                          The only two things that affect that throttle are the CC and your right foot. One of those two gotta be faulty cuz no car is gonna accelerate at highway speeds with a closed throttle.
                          2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

My cruise doesn't work.. It's disabled because I'm too lazy to put the resistors in my LED taillights to let the car know I'm not an idiot driving around with no tail lights :p
                            sigpic
                            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well I did reset the computer via disconnecting the negative terminal. It was disconnected for well over an hour. Unfortunately the problem remained. Are there procedures to test the sensors, such as resistance values, etc..?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X