Engine RPM Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine RPM Problems

Here lately when I get up to highway speeds (50-80 MPH), the engine RPM's go up as the car accelerates like it's supposed to. But when I let off the gas and slow down, the engine RPM's stay up and won't go down until I hit the brake. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
    2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Re: Engine RPM Problems

so it isn't downshifting? or is it acting like the cruise is on and staying at the same speeds
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Do you have your cruise control engaged when you do this, or notice your cruise control light blinking in the background( do we even have a cruise control light?).

It could also be a possible stuck throttle cable or a transmission in need of service.

Comment

I very rarely use the cruise control, so it pretty much happens all the time.
        2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

I'm guessing you have an automatic. So my question to you is, when is the last time you have had it flushed and filled and changed the filter in it?

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
            so it isn't downshifting? or is it acting like the cruise is on and staying at the same speeds
            It's not shifting into the next gear. Sounds like it's shifintg just fine down into 3rd or 2nd, but then get stuck in that gear.

I'd say it's time for a tranny tune-up. Flush it, new filter, everything.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X