Anyone do the rear mainseal themselves? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone do the rear mainseal themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone do the rear mainseal themselves?

So I think my Seal is poop. I hate dealerships and other untrusty mechanics. Do u have to pull the engine to tackel this? or can u just drop to transmission? Anyone Done this themselves?
    I have read that basically everyone has replaced their rear main seal. i have oil creeping all on my y pipe. and i think a small leak in front somewhere up around and below the powersteering. i think it would be hell to fix. can i get some help from anyone willing?
    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Re: Anyone do the rear mainseal themselves?

there have been a handful here that have done it themselves. Definitely can save money by doing it yourself as most shops will charge a fortune to do it.

I still have the stocker on mine, I do have a slight oil leak onto the ypipe but it has been like that since I got it. 30k miles later there is no change in amount. I just plan to live with it
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
      there have been a handful here that have done it themselves. Definitely can save money by doing it yourself as most shops will charge a fortune to do it
      i was charged 200 after the mechanic noticed it when taking out the tranny... now i wish i had done it myself.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Yo 97Rs4Life: when u change your oil do u find a slight amount of water sludge or something like that? what kind of oil do u use?
        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

well if you have an auto trans and some time, jack stands and some help to do the actual pulling and replacing of the trans I say go for it. IMO auto trans are easier to pull than manual.

If you have a manual you have to bleed the clutch properly.

Also there is some sort of rear "plate" seal that can go out on our cars. I had a mechanic mention it to me once. He said that alot of times people think it's their rear main and it's this plate. He was going to charge $75 more if to do the rear plate if that was also leaking because there is a little more work involved.

Either way you can do it yourself. Personally I think putting the manual can be done by one person pretty easily, pulling an auto you definitely need an extra person to help you do the actual pulling and replacing the tranny.

On the manual you are going to need an extra person to help with the bleeding of the clutch.
          -Brad
          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
          :rock:

Comment

Originally posted by HeadyFirebird'00
            Yo 97Rs4Life: when u change your oil do u find a slight amount of water sludge or something like that? what kind of oil do u use?
            nope, no watery sludge, just dark brown as it needs to be changed. I use valvoline
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Man the sma exact thing is happening to me 2. i got my car 3 days ago and now this!!!It sucks balls. Mine is mixed with powersteering fluid and engine oil too. I guess I have to take it to the shop and get it done. Did u ever end up doing it yourself or did u take it to a mechanic?????

Comment

it could also be oil pan gasket or valve covers leaking from the back, even intake gaskets, its not nesicarily the rear main, just explore your options

Comment

i did mine last year when i replaced my clutch, its not that hard, just a pain in the @#$ to get to unless your dropping the tranny anyways. but it does save ya cash if ya do it your self
                  1997 3.8 5-speed Camaro<br />BMR STB, LCA\'s, SFC\'s,Panhard bar, Torque arm,1LE sway bars<br />Headers, SLP cold air, Flowmaster catback, takeoff LSD, Eibach pro springs<br />Hurst shifter, 01 Z28 guage cluster w/ white face overlays, billet grill w

Comment

Originally posted by 3.8Fury
                    Man the sma exact thing is happening to me 2. i got my car 3 days ago and now this!!!It sucks balls. Mine is mixed with powersteering fluid and engine oil too. I guess I have to take it to the shop and get it done. Did u ever end up doing it yourself or did u take it to a mechanic?????
                    Power steering fluid mixed in your engine oil? Holy cow, how did you manage that?

Comment

Originally posted by speedyz
                      Power steering fluid mixed in your engine oil? Holy cow, how did you manage that?
                      Indeed. That's a very good question. How did you manage that?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X