Engine tick, and a few other problems, please read. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine tick, and a few other problems, please read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine tick, and a few other problems, please read.

I had a bad miss on cylinder #5, so I changed the spark plug, and it was all coated with oil. The lower intake manifold gasket was bad. The car ran fine every time I changed the #5 plug, no more miss. But there was still a really bad oil leak.

So I had my friend change all the intake manifold gaskets, the valve cover gaskets, all the spark plugs, and even a burned looking coil pack.

He gave the car back to me with a bad tick, and an even worse miss. So he went to have it scanned by his friend, and now it says it has a cylinder #1 misfire, and that’s also where the ticking is coming from.

So he changed the fuel injector thinking that would fix the problem, but it didn’t. After he put the new injector in, I started it up, and there was a REALLY loud hammer sounding click, so I instantly turned it off. It did that for 3 or 4 more starts then just quit!

Now I’m back to having a tick, and a bad miss.

The tick is consistent w/ the rpm’s, except for sometimes it quits for awhile, then comes back.

The miss only happens when I go over 3000 rpm’s. It also happens sometimes in the lower rpm’s but not often.

The car is running like crap since he gave it back to me. What do you think the ticking sound is? :rant:

He also wants me to pay him $450 for this, and the car is worse than when I gave it to him. :(

BTW, I’m talking about my 2000 V6 Camaro.
    2002 Z28 A4
    SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

Re: Engine tick, and a few other problems, please read.

first off, i'd tell him to take that bill and shove it.

have you pulled the plugs and looked at them yet?

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
      first off, i'd tell him to take that bill and shove it.

have you pulled the plugs and looked at them yet?
      Yes, he pulled the plugs, and said they look fine.

Also, the tick sounds like a lifter.

He said he had nothing to do with the ticking sound, but the car was (except for the oil leak) perfect before I gave it to him. His friend said something might have fell in the motor, and got caught up in a lifter or something.

Plus the car is running like ***, it has to go over 3000 rpm’s just to keep up with traffic.

Also, why does the car miss so bad, could the tick have something to do with it?
      2002 Z28 A4
      SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

Comment

ok, well, first things first... change everything that could possibly be your missfire. (plugs, WIRES, coils)

that should most likly fix your problem, because who knows if those wires have any cracks in them anywhere. also its better just to replace the coils with all the new stuff, thats what i ended up doing when i had a really bad missfire.

and that tick sounds like a dirty engine almost, so i was gonna say sea foam, but then you said how it started doin it right after you added a new fuel injector, so that kinda contradicts what I said, so im not really sure how to help you on that one.

Comment

Does sound like a lifter sticking almost. If your friend couldn't fix it after 450 bucks, you need to tell him to cram it, find a new friend, and probably take the car into a real mechanic shop and let them have a look at it. :)

Comment

pull the vavle cover off and push on the rocker when its running to see if it goes away
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Before you spend more money just double check the plugs and wires. Make sure all the wire boots are properly snapped on and that all of the plugs are properly tightened. I had a really bad ticking and expected the worse, turns out it was just one of my plugs loose enough to turn by hand. Wouldn't hurt to make sure all the wires are going to the right plugs too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X