No announcement yet.

High Octane Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually from what I've read from people who know A LOT about these cars here, the computer actually does compensate for the higher octane. I'd say if you like to drive "spirited" use the higher octane for a bit more performance. If you mainly use the car as a commuter at low revs on the highway, 87 is fine.

Comment

my tuner told me that the computer will change a little bit for 91 because it does some sort of test when it is started. he didn't go into details but he was looking at my car running and stuff so i assume he knew...
      00 Camaro with the Y87 Package!<br /><br />stock times 15.59 @86.3mph with a 2.25 60\'

Comment

Always be aware that some stations advertise 91 octane, but it could be 87 in the holding tank. How many times do you see 3 tanker trucks filling the stations? I always just see one truck filling them up [img]smile.gif[/img]
        95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

I'm just trying to think of this logically, heh

Octane = Oxygen

More oxygen = more power

More power = better fuel economy

Thats what I would think atleast... I usually run with 89 cause I get better mileage with it since Im mainly a highway driver and dont wanna shell out for 91
          \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

Comment

Originally posted by saved1:
            Always be aware that some stations advertise 91 octane, but it could be 87 in the holding tank. How many times do you see 3 tanker trucks filling the stations? I always just see one truck filling them up [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Um, the trucks have seperate tanks on them, my friend used to work at Exxon and I used to go up there and hang out with him stoned all the time and we asked the tanker dude that once. Thats why you see multiple hose connections coming off it. They really only have two mixes, 87 and 91, when you get 89 it just mixes the two. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

Comment

That is what I thought, 3 compartments in the tank. I saw a story one time on the news about gas station dealers ripping people off by just putting 87 in all the pumps.
              95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

be wary of high high octane gasoline, before i had my camaro i had a mazda 626 gt with a turbo. we had a airplane come in that had to be defuled and dis assembled for paint. i ran 2 tanks of 100 octane low lead avaition gasoline in my car and blew the bastard up. it ran like a space ship untill then. and it ran really hot. but when i took it apart to try to fix it it had the cleanest valves i ever seen.....lol...rule of thumb if your gonna run high octane as in not street legal gas, dilute it with pump gas, ive knoticed a gallon of it to a tank full doews the trick with out the damage....

Comment

Originally posted by chris the great:
                  be wary of high high octane gasoline, before i had my camaro i had a mazda 626 gt with a turbo. we had a airplane come in that had to be defuled and dis assembled for paint. i ran 2 tanks of 100 octane low lead avaition gasoline in my car and blew the bastard up. it ran like a space ship untill then. and it ran really hot. but when i took it apart to try to fix it it had the cleanest valves i ever seen.....lol...rule of thumb if your gonna run high octane as in not street legal gas, dilute it with pump gas, ive knoticed a gallon of it to a tank full doews the trick with out the damage....
                  Ummmm, dude your'e nuts!!!!!!!!!
                  -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

Higher octane gas is harder to burn, that is all. The ONLY reason you would want to run higher octane gasoline is if you were having any kinds of false knock issues, or if you were running a higher compression motor (10.5:1+). If you suspect that you're getting false knock, running a higher octane gas and monitoring knock count simultaneously will reveal if the knock is false or real.

Running too low of an octane will result in the air/fuel mixture igniting due to compression, not by spark.
                    Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Golbez:
                      I'm just trying to think of this logically, heh

Octane = Oxygen

More oxygen = more power

More power = better fuel economy

Thats what I would think atleast... I usually run with 89 cause I get better mileage with it since Im mainly a highway driver and dont wanna shell out for 91
                      http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

Good link for all.

In honors chem this year, we finished off the year with organic chemistry. Good stuff.

Comment

so it took 23 posts to say the same thing I said the first post only you guys said it 23 different ways.....GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                        05' CTS-V
                        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

ultimately, you want the lowest octane that your engine can run on without knock or ping.

Comment

Originally posted by nikon:
                            ...quick explanation for higher octane is that the higher the number the harder it is to burn....high octane fuel is only necessary if pre-ignition is a problem (gas igniting before it gets inside the cylinder)....if this isnt a problem it will hurt you
                            No, this is what you said.

Half the posts here is about the the MPG, not about knocking.
                            Pre-ignition is combusting b4 reaching TDC, not b4 it gets sprayed. I think you mistyped that one.
                            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Originally posted by nikon:
                              so it took 23 posts to say the same thing I said the first post only you guys said it 23 different ways.....GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!
                              What...do more replies worded differently by different people hurt your feelings?
                              Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                6 hours ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X