need help with radiator.. drainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with radiator.. drainer?

ok im flushing out my radiator, and on the bottom theres the little turn knob i guess i can loosen and the fluid will drain.

some people have told me its reversed thread, that true? its only plastic but its in there good and i dont want to break it, so im being cautious. please answer asap. thanks

Re: need help with radiator.. drainer?

Originally posted by Scott90
    ok im flushing out my radiator, and on the bottom theres the little turn knob i guess i can loosen and the fluid will drain.

some people have told me its reversed thread, that true? its only plastic but its in there good and i dont want to break it, so im being cautious. please answer asap. thanks
    It has regular threads. Loosen it just like any other bolt or nut out there.

Comment

if it does not loosen easily, leave it alone and pull off the bottom hose. you do not want to break that thing.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i take just unscrew that. shouldn't be hard. but deff don't want to break that.
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

lol mine was harder than i thought... i had to use PB blaster just to break it loose. but i got it nonetheless.

anyways idk if i fully drained the system, actually i know i didnt..
          all i did was pull that plug, let the radiator drain and ran water through it to clean it out, then i filled it back up, i was gonna put in 2 gallons of dex cool then add water to top it, but i was surprised when 1/2 gallon filled the radiator, then i drove it to maybe make some of it cycle so i can add more, but its still full, and the temp is still normal, not hot at all. so is that all correct and i was wrong about it taking 2 gallons? or did i not drain it 100%? if not, how do i?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott90
            lol mine was harder than i thought... i had to use PB blaster just to break it loose. but i got it nonetheless.

anyways idk if i fully drained the system, actually i know i didnt..
            all i did was pull that plug, let the radiator drain and ran water through it to clean it out, then i filled it back up, i was gonna put in 2 gallons of dex cool then add water to top it, but i was surprised when 1/2 gallon filled the radiator, then i drove it to maybe make some of it cycle so i can add more, but its still full, and the temp is still normal, not hot at all. so is that all correct and i was wrong about it taking 2 gallons? or did i not drain it 100%? if not, how do i?
            Hmm, do you have a Hayne's manual? There may be a plug or two on the block itself to drain the coolant, I can't remember on the V6's.

I'd drive the car around for a while, make sure it gets hot, then shut it down and wait for it to cool off, then check the fluid level. Keep an eye on your engine temp guage, if your motor runs too hot be sure to pull over and let it cool, then add some water/antifreeze.
            2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

You didnt fully drain it. There is alot of antifreeze in there.

When I took my heads off, I pulled the plug on the rad and drained that. Then I got another 1/2 quart out of the heater hoses, then I got another quart out of the bottom rad hose, then I got another pint out of the heads them selves, and probably another pint out of the block when I pulled out my block heater.

Just draining the rad wont funlly drain the system.
              Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

ok thank you guys.

Comment

after you refill it, run your heater too for a bit, then check it again. probably have to add a little more fluid after that. you may as well inspect all of your radiator hoses while you have it drained too.
                  Last edited by Harrison; 03-30-2007, 08:29 AM.
                  Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison
                    after you refill it, run your heater too for a bit, then check it again. probably have to add a little more fluid after that. you may as well inspect all of your radiator hoses while you have it drained too.
                    run the heater and let the car idle for about 5 minutes.... then check it again.
                    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

i usually have to use a vise grips or something like that. just be careful not to break it off.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I know this is an old thread and all, but I managed to break mine. It was on there tight. What do I do now? Just use the lower hose to drain?
                        Originally posted by LETZRIDE
                        I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

Originally posted by turbohead2332
                          I know this is an old thread and all, but I managed to break mine. It was on there tight. What do I do now? Just use the lower hose to drain?
                          sure, if oyu want

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X