Brakes got extrmemely soft after LSD - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brakes got extrmemely soft after LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes got extrmemely soft after LSD

Well months ago when I was installing my LSD, we took the calipers off of the rotors in the rear when we were going to slide the axles out mainly because we weren't thinking. Well then I remember ohh crap, I didn't put it in neutral. So I hit the brake not thinking anyhting of it to shift to neutral.

Well then I realize the I pushed the brakes without the rotors on so now they had to be bled to get them to go back on the rotors. I open the bleeder valve to let the piston go back in when I pushed it. Then I bled the brakes and I thought everything was OK. Then the brakes slowly get to where they take me to push more and more down on the pedal to stop. What I could do was sit still, pump the brakes a few times all the way down and back and then the brakes would be good for a little while again but slowly return to the crappyness. I bled them again, hoping that would fix it but no. Now they're stuck being softer. I have to push the brake pedal half way to the floor to get it to start stopping at all. And after I bled the rears the second time I couldn't even make them tighten up with the method mentioned above. Then I got to thinking somehow we screwed the ABS reluctor ring up or something but I don't see how we could have or if that would do this.

Anyone have any idea what the deal is here? I don't know alot about the brake system. I was thinking maybe there was some kind of leak but the fluid level really never changes that I can see. I love having the weird problems that most have never seen before...
    Black 2000 Firebird w/ 3.42\'s, LSD, !maf, Whisper Lid, FTRA, K&N Filter. <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/metallica_forever_69\" target=\"_blank\">My Crappy Page</a>

you may have to bleed all 4, also, i think theres a way to bleed the ABS box too? might have gotten some air in the system enough to go up to the front area... I dont know if thats the fix, but its a thought

Comment

Hmm I didn't realize it could get into the fronts. I'll have to try that this weekend then and see if that does any good. Hopefully so because it sucks knowing they do so much better but not getting what you want from them.
      Black 2000 Firebird w/ 3.42\'s, LSD, !maf, Whisper Lid, FTRA, K&N Filter. <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/metallica_forever_69\" target=\"_blank\">My Crappy Page</a>

Comment

as long as you opened the bleeder before compressing the piston you shouldn't have an ABS related problem. the reluctor won't affect the firmness of your braking. an ABS problem will feel like a noticeable pulsating of the brake pedal.

It's possible you may have damaged a piston seal, by ejecting the pistons too far without anything (namely the rotor and pads)to stop them, but that should be evident by a fluid loss at the caliper.

it may just be that you still have air in the lines. just make sure that whoever is pumping the brake pedal for you while you bleed them uses slower more fluid motions. pumping the brake pedal too vigorously will only cause you more trouble when trying to bleed them.
        Jason<br /><br />\'99 Pewter Camaro<br />\'93 V8 S-10

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
          by ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
          1 week ago
        • RPDRed6
          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
          by RPDRed6
          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
          3 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          No start problem
          by ssms5411
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X