1997 Camaro V6 with low milage just as reliable as 2002 V6 with low milage? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 Camaro V6 with low milage just as reliable as 2002 V6 with low milage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol damn why on earth would you try to ruin an LS1 like that..87!??!

Comment

Then there is the condition of the engine. Yes, put a supercharger or turbo on it. But what if there is something wrong that you are unaware of?

In the long run, it is your choice. Good luck with whatever you chose.

And I am one of those who wishes I got a V8. But then look at the price of gas. But still....

Comment

Buy a V6 w/o ab engine and purchase an LT1 to go inside. That way you steer away from the insurance cost, have your reliable damn near new engine and you can work things from there. You initial cost may be a bit more, but in the long run you can cure both problems at one time. Not tryin to get on your nerves man, just trying to help. There are a couple guys who this has worked well for, so it can be done. If you can find something to work from, I think it will work well for you.
        -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

I asked my State Farm agent what the difference in insurance would be if I were to have gotten a Z-28 instead of my V-6 and she said it was only about ten dollars a month. The name Camaro is what substantially increases your payments. Other things like T-top, LS1, Convertible and driving record are more influential. Don't let 10 bucks dissuade you from the V-8 as a possibility. I live in Louisiana where our insurance rates are BY FAR the worst in the nation b/c of the corruption in our government. Z-28's also get decent gas mileage considering. I like my V-6, but don't think for an instant if I had the ability at this point, I'd get one. I made the mistake of driving my wife's coworkers LS1 Trans Am, and now I regret buying my 6 instead of holding out for the 8. I know you have said no way to an 8 cylinder, but at least check with multiple insurance carriers to see.
          Geaux Tigers

Comment

If I chose between new and old, I go with new; to answer your true question.
            Geaux Tigers

Comment

Damn, is your insurance agent your dad? When "I" was being quoted the difference it was almost 125 bucks extra a month. So rather than pay that per month, I kept the money and added rims and sound.... my experience was somehow different than yours. And Z-28 is another factor that goes in you price quoting along with T-tops, LS1;same thing man. Oh yea, do a couple price quotes on the web it ONLy asks for your version....6cyl (coupe or convert) in most cases or 8cyl (coupe or convert)
              -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

ok, kinda long...The first thing Id mention to answer the original question is that you wont be able to get a '97 with under 50k for just $5-6k unless you basically steal it from somebody. My '96 has 91k on it and the KBB is $5k privately and $7k dealer. Sure , you could get these cars for less than blue book, but $5-6k with less than 50k on it, thats pushing it. Also, I have learned that modding the v6 isnt worth it. The superchargers for 3.8's are around 3-4 grand new, plus installation unless you take care of that, plus a good tune, which isnt cheap. You really need bolt-ons as well to get what you'd want out of it. I have Geico insurance right now and they dont charge any more for a Z28 or Transam. I believe State Farm is similar, but it depends on the area. As far as getting a '97 or a newer model, the older it is the more wear its had cosmetically, but mileage may leave each engine in simlilar condition. It really comes down to how the car has been taken care of. Some guy with Z28's have LT1's with 150,00 miles on them still pulling high 13's stock. Some have been overrevved and abused for years but look good yet dont push the power they once had. It depends on the car. Look at fluid levels, tire wear, how the tranny is shifting, and get a feel for how its has been maintained. I know you dont wanna here it but Id either be happy like with a basically stock v6 or just get the Z. which is actually the transition Im in the middle of now. Im looking for a Z28 or Transam. Ive driven 3 of them, try that. You'll forget about supercharging anything. Good luck

P.S. I have a strong suspicicion you cant get a V8 because your parents won't let you, but maybe Im wrong...
                \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

Comment

I bought my 1999 V-6 with 29000 miles from a very reputable dealer for $6500.00.
                  Geaux Tigers

Comment

Thanks Camaroking. It's definately not my parents though. It's the insurance, the price, and engine reliability. I know many of you believe the V8 is quite reliable but long term I really think the V6 will hold up better. Also... I want the uniqueness factor. Somethin' sexay about a V6 sleeper that can wup up on a lot of V8s. (I know just a supercharger or turbo won't do that, but I'm going to replace the exhaust, add a shift kit and maybe some other stuff. This is all just plans that I'm not sure of... but if I can afford it I probably will)
                    Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

I'd say all things equal, go with the 2002 - it's still under warranty! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

I got a 97' with 60k but I did a front end conversion to a 98+ SS look. I looked at both (V8/6) and thought insurance was close but I honestly have no clue because the insurance rates I was quoted for my v6 were only off a mere 220%. I was told insurance would be $630 or so every 6 months reasonable turned out to be $1650 every 6 months that includes a $600 good student discount which if I didn't have would make insurance for my v6 $2,250. This is with no accidents, no claims, no tickets. That being said I'd probably go for the 97' if you like that body style and upgrade things with performance parts. No sense in getting a 2002 with newer parts that will last then replacing them with performance pieces anyway. That being said either one will give lots of options for performance upgrade from engine swaps to super/turbo/nitrous etc. With either you'll probably notice gas mileage is much less then what you'd expect if you search theres tons of threads about people getting under 20 mpg. 25mpg or so seems to be an average for a well maintained car. Keep that in mind when you make your decision along with the fact that whatever option you choose all require the highest octane available if you want any sort of performance.
                        1997 Camaro v6 3.8 <br />Bone Stock, just a little slower then most station wagons.<br />**Either the slowest SS or the prettiest v6**

Comment

Originally posted by OutKlast:
                          [QB]

turned out to be $1650 every 6 months that includes a $600 good student discount which if I didn't have would make insurance for my v6 $2,250. This is with no accidents, no claims, no tickets.
                          Wow, that alone makes me glad I am 44.

Comment

Id just go for the car in better shape, which could be the newer one, but it really depends on the particular car in question.
                            ...$6500 for a '99 with 29000 miles on it, either the dealer is retarded, closing, or maybe it has like 50 carfax reports or something, nice deal though, lucky bastard :cool:
                            \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

Comment

Another thing - the 2002 has tubular manifolds, so you won't have to lay out for headers initially. That could save you another $400-$500.
                              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

The Warranty thing is as about as solid a decsion maker as I've heard. You can't put a dollar amount on the probables and just plain ol' effin things that can happen to your car. Being able to take it to a "dealership" and look the fuc)er's in the eye and say "I'm Rick James Batch" and make them do the FREE repair is worth millions!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X