The Speedometer on my car either reads 0, or randomely jumps up and down... huh? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Speedometer on my car either reads 0, or randomely jumps up and down... huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Speedometer on my car either reads 0, or randomely jumps up and down... huh?

On my 'ole oldsmobile '89 cutlass supreme... which I've dubbed "The ugly gray beast"... has a weird deal with it's speedometer... I don't think it's the alternator because this has been happening for quite a while.

Basically... Since my gas guage was already broken before this... and I was using my tripometer... and since when it's reading "0 mph" it's also putting no numbers on the tripometer.... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TELL WHEN I NEED GAS!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

But the bigger issue is we need to sell this crapmobile and we can't sell it with a crazy speedometer like this.

What should I check or what should I look for?

Thanks.
    Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

You should try to find a used one on ebay or a local junkyard. I have *no clue* when it comes to electronics, and if it's a problem that is indepth, I'll just replace the whole thing.

My 96 camaro has a squirrley speedo too. It only happens when it's raining and I'm driving on the highway at 55mph or more. It quickly jumps up to 80mph then back down when i'm cruising. It doesn't happen that often either. Only once every 1/2 hour or so...? Again, it's probably an indepth diagnosis, so screw it!
    sigpic

Comment

sounds like yuor having the same problem that my cousin is having on his '94 GT stang
      it is either reading 0 or stuck. then it randomly jumps up to the correct speed. For some reason hitting the dash above the gauge bezel seems to help. his is a mechanical speedo which i am guessing yours would be too. Any way we are going to pull the gauge cluster and make sure nothins loose. if that doesnt fix it then i guess he'll just have to buy a new cable etc.
      hope this helps
      1994 white Firebird M5<br />Flowmasters, CAI, 3.73s, LSD, coated pacesetters, eibach pro-kit, bilsteins, hurst shifter, JVC stereo, 18\" C5 vette wheels, Kuhmo Ecsta ASX rubber<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299</a> <br /><br />Coming Soon: Turbo!

Comment

Thanks man. Actually mine's one of those digital dashboards.... strange.. make me think it's the wiring and not the mechanism.
        Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
          by ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
          1 week ago
        • RPDRed6
          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
          by RPDRed6
          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
          3 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          No start problem
          by ssms5411
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X