Typical replacement mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical replacement mileage

Hi, I am wondering when some parts on out car typically wear out (mileage) or need servicing (cleaning). Parts like:

Cat converter, 02 sensors, IAC (sensor?), MAF, suspension parts (shocks/springs/bushings..etc)

Also anything that might not be known to most people to need replacing or servicing. Thanks

If you havn't replaced your alternator and window motors by 50k, keep a little cash on hand. Its garanteed to fail.

Keep an eye on your cat after 50k
    Of course you will want to generally replace, plugs wires, filters( oil,fuel,air), pvc.
    Cardomain

Comment

hi, yup the drivers side window I had replaced as well as the alternator. New plugs..NOT wires, I should get all new wires..And all filters have been replaced recently. What is the pvc?

I bought the car with 73,000 on it, it now has 86000 and I've put A LOT of new parts on it already, and I was just wondering what else maybe you would look to maintain at that mileage.

Comment

PVC is the little valve that has a check ball in it. It is located on the front/top of the engine, drivers side. If it still rattles, it is ok. But since it only cost a couple of dollars, put a new one in if you go to the trouble of checking it.
        95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

Get a Hayne's or Chiltons, they've got great maintenance lists.

I'd suggest getting your serpentine belt checked/replaced at around 50-60K. O2s generally last about 60K miles - even if they're not throwing an SES at that point it's a good idea to replace them.

PCV is the PCV valve. Replacing them after 36K miles or so is a good idea - you can check it by pulling out of the engine and listening to hear it click - if it doesn't, it's no good. They're dirt cheap to replace too.

Keep an eye on your TCC apply if you have an A4... those valves tend to go around the 60-70K range. 60K on an original clutch is starting to get up there as well if you have an M5, but I wouldn't worry about replacing it until it starts slipping or behaving improperly.

At 60K, do your 3yr/30K maintenance routines - change tranny oil/filter, change gear oil in rear end (add posi additive if you have an Auburn diff), change air filter, fuel filter, and so on.

IAC, MAF, MAP TPS, other sensors usually do not need to be replaced unless they throw an SES or behave oddly, although I would reccomend cleaning the IAC with carb/choke cleaner every year or so to keep the gunk out of it.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

As a heads up your cat is covered under a warranty for 7 years 70k miles(I think that is the number)

assuming your exhaust was never modified...

My CAT went out at like 38k. and months out of the factory warranty.

Comment

Ya I have a '97 with 86,000 miles, and a Flowmaster muffler so I'm screwed there. I'm almost positve I still have the stock cat and 02 sensors. Here' a question, since I live in Cali, I'll think I'll only be able to go with a direct stock replacement cat to pass emisions. How much is a factory replacement Cat? Also, would a cat off a low mileage 3.8 V6 in a junkyard be ok? Or would it be no good from sitting?

Comment

Factory cat is mad expensive, like $300. I think a junkyard may be OK if it has low mileage.

Comment

Catco cats are cheap and a lot of guys here use them.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

What are some symptoms of a bad cat?
                    -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

Originally posted by Christian:
                      SES P0420 (although that can also mean a bad post-cat O2), rattling under the passenger side, cat generating insane amounts of heat, buzzing/rattling inside of cat, sulfury-smelling exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian:
                        Well, when mine went bad, it never threw any codes, surprisingly, but I also wasn't able to go over 15 MPH. :\
                        \'97 Camaro: GN Turbo w/intercooler, 3.42s w/ Auburn HD posi, Bulletproof 4L60E-HD, stage II shift kit, Vette servo, MSD Ign, K&N, Ported TB/MAF, 3\" FlowMaster, 160* thermo, HPTuners v1.6

Comment

Originally posted by bradoneill:
                          Factory cat is mad expensive, like $300. I think a junkyard may be OK if it has low mileage.
                          Illegal to sell used...
                          1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
                            Ya I have a '97 with 86,000 miles, and a Flowmaster muffler so I'm screwed there. I'm almost positve I still have the stock cat and 02 sensors. Here' a question, since I live in Cali, I'll think I'll only be able to go with a direct stock replacement cat to pass emisions. How much is a factory replacement Cat? Also, would a cat off a low mileage 3.8 V6 in a junkyard be ok? Or would it be no good from sitting?
                            Factory replacement cat would cost something like 8 or 9 bills, as it comes with the Y.
                            I am in Cali as well, and I got a CarSound Cat. No SES...Smog coming up at the end of the yr, should be ok.
                            What are you so worried about? Is something
                            wrong with your car?
                            I the only thing that went bad on my car is the coil, leak in trunk and cat. Window motors were good, but made noise, so they replaced it. everything else is good.
                            Changed the PCV at 74k and was still good, still got my original O2s.
                            I got 143K + on it. Pinion seal finally wore out 10k ago.
                            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Ya my car is making a rattleing noise..it has been for about a year...mainly under acceleration, it sounds like metal hitting metal and its coming from the front of the car. My SES light is on as well. Taking it to my mechanic next tuesday...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X