Spark plug questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug questions

Ok I am being a little lazy here but I did do a search first. How hard is it to change our spark plugs. I've heard the LS1's can be a nightmare. Also what plugs are the best, and what are the wrench socket and spark gap size? I've got 40k on my 2000 3.8. It seems to miss a little at idle. Could this be the plugs wearing out? Thanks

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: OSGiles202 ]</p>
    2000 FireBird<br />K&N<br />Flowmaster

My 2000 Firebird wasn't that hard to change the plugs on. The tubular manifolds help. You need a 5/8 deep-socket(preferably a spark plug socket), a universal, and different length extensions. I'm willing to bet it's more your wires though causing a rough idle. I can't remember which wire on mine had been rubbed raw but was arching on a bracket. It was on the driver's side though. I'm using AC rapid fire plugs and Accel 8mm wires on mine and have had no problems. I put plastic covers over the wires to keep them from chaffing also. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    2000 Silver Firebird<br />1988 Maroon GTA

Comment

it's a pain on the **s, but you can do it. i change mines last saturday. it took me the whole day and 4 trips to autozone to get the right tools , but it was my first time thougt. i did it using a 5/8 spark plug socket, 3" extension, a flex wrench and an 3/4 open/close edge wrench. i took everyone of the them under the car but the first one on the passenger side, i think that's the most easy and the only one i could see from the top. (mine is 99). of course you would need something to lift your car up. i used rhino ramps and a creeper (a gift from my wife) :D
      do it yourself and you would save $120 bucks
      2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

the first time i did it, it took a good four hours. The sizes previously told by Scott and 99 are good. U dont need a lift to do it though. From the top it just takes a little feeling around. Good luck.
        Factory:Camaro 5 speed, Color Pewter, w/ t-tops and Y87 package. <br />Engine: K&N filter w/ Whisper Lid, FRA, Borla adjustable cat-back exhaust. Hurst w/ Short Stick<br />Interior:Oil temp. and Air/Fuel ratio gauges, System.<br />Exterior: Black outs front and back, 18 in. Lenso rims w/ Kumho Supra 275/35ZR18 tires, also limo tint on sides and back.<br />173.2rwhp-----200.5tq

Comment

Mymy I don't even want to think about the time I replaced my sparks (last year).. It took me an awful lot of time and I also did at least 4-5 travels to the auto shop.. At least on the 94 models you are guaranteed to have a rough ride changing those, except of course if you have experience and all the tools. I didnt have either and it was a nightmare.
          ===================<br />One day you\'ll know

Comment

The reason yours took so long 99redcamaro is because you have different exhaust manifolds. '99 f-bodies have cast manifolds. 2000 f-bods have tubular manifolds which help out so much more. The manifolds are out of the way. It only took me an hour and a half to change my plugs. The hardest plug was the rear (#5). That's the one on the driver's side in back. As mentioned before, you don't need a lift to change them on the 2000. I did mine right from the top. I had a '76 Camaro that had headers on it and that was a pain to change plugs on compared to this. When you change plugs plenty of times you start to get faster at it. Note: If you should do this. Don't start putting the plugs back in using the socket and ratchet. You may stip the plug threading. Start by either using your bare hand and start it or put the plug in the socket to help you hold on to it and start it with your hand. Using the ratchet will sometimes give you a false feel and you will start damaging the threads.

Comment

Nobody mentioned this but the plugs are gapped at .060 of an inch.

Comment

Took me one hour to replace my spark plugs yesterday with Bosch Platinums.

It was a pain in the *** to take the spark plug gaskets off, as they were pretty stuck. After that I had to use 2 different lenght extensions and the 5/8" spark plug wrench to unscrew the plugs. Engine was very hot so I wore gloves.

After I had everything take out, I began to screw in the new plugs, had them done in no time, next I put the gaskets back on.. and it was done in around 1 hour...

Not the easiest job i've done due to the lack of space but its managable.

Comment

It took me about 2.5 hours on the '01

even managed to fit a torque wrench in there

the hardest part is getting the spark plug boots off. Twist them a little and then use a screwdriver or pair of pliers to move the metal shield back and then you will be in good shape [img]smile.gif[/img]

Remember though, do one plug at a time so you don't forget what wire goes where.
                  2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot this weekend.
                    2000 FireBird<br />K&N<br />Flowmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X