160 or 180 thermostat on a 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 or 180 thermostat on a 3.4

Any advice on the better thermostat for a 3.4? I've heard that the 160's cause too much variance in temperature considering stock is 195, which is bad for the engine. Which gives the better performance increase?
    \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

i'd do a 180

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: wood_e ]</p>
    I have a V6, it gets me around town

Comment

good info man..... i was wanting a 160* but, i didnt knw if could be bad for our cars.....
      New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

the 160 may cause computer problems, and it will take a while for the heater to get warm if thats an issue
        I have a V6, it gets me around town

Comment

if the 160 can cause computer problems, would that also be a problem with the 180?
          \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CamaroKing:
            if the 160 can cause computer problems, would that also be a problem with the 180?<hr></blockquote>
            see im trying to figure if the 1608 actually causes probs..... but i wouldn't think a 180 would... it's not as big of a jump ours are 195* stock i think....
            New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

The temperature drop on a 3.8 is only 20 degrees, and by getting a 180 on a 3.4, the difference would be 15. People with 3.8's don't seem to have problems, so I'm thinking that's the best bet.

Comment

I would go with the 180

Comment

I would go with the 180 man. I just flushed my cooling system this past weekend and went with a 180. I like it a lot! I keeps my engine right at the temperature I want. But with the 160 I think it would be a little cold. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/6330/VicCamaro.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>*1997 Silver Camaro A4/3.08*</b></a><br /><b>Best 1/4</b>(December 17, 2003)<br />Race weight: 3580lbs w/driver <br />RT: .396 1/4: 14.93 60\': 2.08 MPH: 89.73<br /><b>Mods</b><br />&gt;Flowmaster 80 muffler (muffler only) &gt;Homemade cold air with K&N 1000cfm cone filter &gt;Trans-go Shift Kit &gt;2400-2600 TCI converter<p><b>*1969 Camaro SS*</b><br />*502ci (92-octane pump gas)<br />*2-speed powerglide<br /><b>Best 1/4:</b>1.34 60ft 9.78@138.12mph (Aug 16, 2003)

Comment

Try a search. This has been discussed to death.
                    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

i know you asked about the 3.4, but i put in a 160* on my 3.8 and its a 35* jump from the stock 195*, but i have no problems with mine. even the heater works better than most would have you believe.

a cooler engine is always better. the only time you might have a problem is during emissions testing. for that just let your engine sit idle for a few minutes until the fans kick in and then have them test it. should be fine.
                      Silver \'98 Camaro M5<br />Current MODs:<br />SLP strut tower brace; SLP 1LE swaybars front/back; Powerslot rotors; Hawk pads; Eibach springs; Bilstein SLP shock kit; SLP trans mount; Zexel limited-slip differential; LS1 drive shaft.<br />Possible future MODs:<br />BMR Lower Control Arms; BMR Pandhard Rod.

Comment

Try the 180 ... or take a 195 and drill one or two 1/16" holes through the plate.
                        You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X