Head gasket....what else can i do while the block is open? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head gasket....what else can i do while the block is open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket....what else can i do while the block is open?

while my mechanic is putting in a new head gasket, what can i do to the engine internally that will improve performance?

I was thinking about a cam, but im not sure if he has to take out the cam when hes putting in new head gaskets.
    My car has GPS trackin\',traffic alert,its own phone #,PS2,screens. And What da H3ll,When I Turn da key it says \"You\'ve got mail\"..... <br />I swear and promise.. I\'ve had more cars then Charlie Thomas.. bounces in a Monte\' that hopped.. Pimped old skoo Blazer on Chopz, Today Its a Camaro at all da plya spots.

Well the only thing i can think of is buy some P&P heads or have yours done at a local machine shop and also your top and lower intake manifolds they should be taken off so have them done too! thats all i can think of

Comment

Ask your mechanic about thicker head gaskets. You may be able to up your compression a little if you have the clearance. You'll probably have to use a higher grade of octane though.
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

HMMMMMMM........thicker head gaskets....never really taught of that. Ill ask him tomorrow. thanks
        My car has GPS trackin\',traffic alert,its own phone #,PS2,screens. And What da H3ll,When I Turn da key it says \"You\'ve got mail\"..... <br />I swear and promise.. I\'ve had more cars then Charlie Thomas.. bounces in a Monte\' that hopped.. Pimped old skoo Blazer on Chopz, Today Its a Camaro at all da plya spots.

Comment

thicker gaskets will DECREASE compression...
          Silver \'98 Camaro M5<br />Current MODs:<br />SLP strut tower brace; SLP 1LE swaybars front/back; Powerslot rotors; Hawk pads; Eibach springs; Bilstein SLP shock kit; SLP trans mount; Zexel limited-slip differential; LS1 drive shaft.<br />Possible future MODs:<br />BMR Lower Control Arms; BMR Pandhard Rod.

Comment

Consider some head work. Definitely replace the valve guides and seals. Shaving your heads can add compression ... but this can alter your cylinder flame pattern in a manner which minimizes or negates any theoretical HP gain from the extra compression. The shape of the combustion chamber and the type of piston installed is critical in this decision. If you do shave your heads, make sure you have the machinist true the angle of the intake manifold gasket surfaces to match the modified heads. If aftermarket heads are available, you'll usually be much happier with them rather than shaved stock heads.

If you race your car every chance you get, be sure to install new head bolts with those new gaskets!!!

If you install a high lift cam, replace the pressed rocker studs with threaded studs.

Since you're in Houston, you might check out the performance coatings available from Polydyn.
            You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by morbid:
              thicker gaskets will DECREASE compression...<hr></blockquote>

Sorry. You're absolutely correct. It's thinner head gaskets.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
              <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Port match the intake and heads. Even some minor port opening will improve hp. Also, do a cam.
                16 years old with no car and big dreams...

Comment

Thinner gasket, Replace lifters, Replace rocker arm bolts. If you go with a cam whice i would replace vavle springs, Pushrods, and retianers. Make them all a chromemoly so your vavle train will be lighter. And a quick port and polish would be a great gain if you do all i just said you will see a night and day difference when u get your car back. It will be like having a new car all over again.
                  <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X