98 auto Camraos Come On In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 auto Camraos Come On In

hey, everyone me and a friend have come up with an idea of getting rid of my speed limiter. it is going to a dealership and have them reflash my computer with someone elses that doesn't have a limiter. the only problem is i need the VIN number from the other car. i know it is something big to ask, but if anyone is willing to give me there VIN number it would be a great help.

Thanks

Be careful with it, You can't just reflash a pcm for a specific thing. It is a whole program. Plus if the updated program is already selected, it will not let you reflash your pcm.The cars vin you get must have the same driveline and drive related options as your car. You may also run into major driveability problems. These computers are not cheap to replace. This whole speed limiter thing is gonna be very very difficult to get rid of. The reason it is on the cars in the first place is because the tires that come on the v6 are only speed rated from like 115 to 120...something in that range. GM took this into consideration when making the program for these pcm's. If GM leaves it possible to remove the speed limiter, then people will remove it. Then drive faster than what their tires are made for, tires overheat, blow out, people die.....one big GM lawsuit. I am sorry to say it dude, I am thinking this is gonna be almost impossible with out upper lever GM assistance, which we know won't happen. I have spent many hours trying to figure out how to get past it because I have Z rated tires on my bird, but have not found anything.

Comment

yeah, good luck finding someone without the limiter. this has been an ongoing dilemma with the 98's (the bastard car of v6 f-bodies).

I was thinking about taking an old pcm from another 98 v6 and toying with the code as a project for my classes, but thats a while off and I don't have the time. I'm not even sure what the coding is on one of those. I think I saw some posts with other guys willing to try it, but I don't think it ever got past the "talk" stage since its a fairly involved project.

Hopefully in the next 6 months to year someone will release something commerically for us to do it (such as hypertech) but until then, we're SOL.

PS = if you want to, go to Hypertechs Web Page and put up a request to have one made for out cars. Hopefully, if they get enough feedback, then the marketing guys overr there will think its worth while. ( I do it about every three months hoping they will)
      Not a problem, just a challenge...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X