Fuel Pump Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuel Pump Install

I guess it's either that or pull the rear axle and hope something doesn't come loose in the process of reassembly. (sigh) Fortunately I have a Dremel tool and I'm pretty good with em. Maybe I can find a Grand Prix fuel pump plate that'll fit over the hole I cut. Would be a nice, clean install then and would look stock.
    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

Here are the two write-ups out there that I know of.

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html

http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/Fuel-Pump.htm

And this is what my covered hole looks like.
      Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
      New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Comment

The bucket prevents fuel starvation when cornering or makeing tight manuvers . I changed the fuel pump and just glued it with super glue . your not looking for a leakproof seal . you want fuel to run into the bucket . it's something like a reserve . and i know you guys like cutting holes to get to the take but the reason gm didnt do that is saftey , they didn't want to risk fumes getting into the pasanger compartment .

Comment

I lost the bucket over a year ago and frequently run my car almost out of fuel and have never had any stalling or fuel starvation problems.
          Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
          New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by CHEVYINSIDE
            The bucket prevents fuel starvation when cornering or makeing tight manuvers . I changed the fuel pump and just glued it with super glue . your not looking for a leakproof seal . you want fuel to run into the bucket . it's something like a reserve . and i know you guys like cutting holes to get to the take but the reason gm didnt do that is saftey , they didn't want to risk fumes getting into the pasanger compartment .
            no the bucket is there to keep the pump cool when your fuel is low..... it sucks fuel from the out side of the bucket.

the only way fumes would leak is if you gasket on the tank is bad.

1000's of people have done there tanks like this and not one has had problem with it, and if you seal it like he did above its even better
            www.turbov6camaro.com
            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

yea my hose fell off after the first time, had to open the panel in a parking lot and reattach it, lol.

access panel all the way. And yea the bucket is to keep it cool mainly
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Welp the glue set well, perhaps too well lol. So I went ahead and left it in the bucket. Was a pain in the *** getting the sender assembly to sit all the way back down into the tank. Looks like it sits at an angle anyhow, probably to get into that lower back area.

The car cranked right up though, I guess the thing I need to do now is fill up the tank and make sure I didn't get the float level caught on anything. I still smell a little bit of fuel, but I'm guessing it may be from when I pulled out the assembly and some fuel dripped outa the lines.

This Walbro was quieter amazingly than the stock pump. My car also starts way easier, I'm wondering if my old pump was on its way out.

Comment

so tell me than y gm put the fuel bucket in there ? with all the cost cutting that gm did to thses cars wouldnt they take out something they didnt need . and i mean sealing out the underside of the cars from exhaust fumes not fuel . theres a reason they didnt do it . you couldnt take that to a dealership or any decent shop and expect them to cut up the car to get to the fuel tank . and just cause 100,000 people did it with no problems doesnt mean there would be .2% that have an problem . sorry i'll get of my soapbox now .

Comment

sorry to ask but how did you get that it uses it to cool the pump . it sits in a bucket that gives it a constant flow of fuel . a side effect my be that it cools the pump but that is not the only thing it does .and you can have fuel starvaton without seeing any drivablity issues .

Comment

sorry to ask but how did you get that it uses it to cool the pump . it sits in a bucket that gives it a constant flow of fuel . a side effect my be that it cools the pump but that is not the only thing it does .and you can have fuel starvaton without seeing any drivablity issues .
                      I know the sock on my filter was outside of my bucket so it wasn't sucking fuel out of the bucket at all originally. It was taking it from out of the tank. So how would that help when it is low?

Fuel in the bucket keeps the pump cool when it is getting low and prevents it from burning up as quickly. If you are running your car with less than 1-2 gallons in your car all the time then you have other issues that need to be addressed. Besides, the pump sits down at the bottom of the tank, unless you are doing some serious autocrossing you are not going to starve your fuel pump.
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Keeping the pump cool is about right. My uncle is a mechanic and he mentioned to me that I should never really run the car below 1/4 of a tank because the less fuel lets the pump get warm. He said it shortens the life of the pump. This is the 2nd time I've heard someone mention that aspect.

Comment

so tell me than y gm put the fuel bucket in there ? with all the cost cutting that gm did to thses cars wouldnt they take out something they didnt need . and i mean sealing out the underside of the cars from exhaust fumes not fuel . theres a reason they didnt do it . you couldnt take that to a dealership or any decent shop and expect them to cut up the car to get to the fuel tank . and just cause 100,000 people did it with no problems doesnt mean there would be .2% that have an problem . sorry i'll get of my soapbox now .
                          1. i already told its to keep the fuel pump cool

2. other cars including the GP, GTP's have pump access doors in them the fbody is one of the few that don't the cost cutting was probably NOT putting the fuel door in there. and charging 8 hours of labor for 4 hours of work that it would take someone that has done it a few times.

sorry to ask but how did you get that it uses it to cool the pump . it sits in a bucket that gives it a constant flow of fuel . a side effect my be that it cools the pump but that is not the only thing it does .and you can have fuel starvaton without seeing any drivablity issues
                          easy the return fuel line dumps in the bucket keeping the pump submerged in fuel at all times. this keeps the pump cool since its only way of cooling is the fuel itself. witch is why if you run out of gas a lot the pump dies because it over heats.

the pump sucks gas in from outside the bucket

and in my car i can not have fuel starvation whit out issues because of my tune if any factor is off i will know about it, the FP gauge will tell me (it drops 3 psi if the tank is low) the wide band O2 will tell me or going lean under boost will all tell me something is wrong.

plus you can't fit 2 fuel pumps in there with the bucket in the way ;)
                          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af
                            1. i already told its to keep the fuel pump cool

2. other cars including the GP, GTP's have pump access doors in them the fbody is one of the few that don't the cost cutting was probably NOT putting the fuel door in there. and charging 8 hours of labor for 4 hours of work that it would take someone that has done it a few times.

easy the return fuel line dumps in the bucket keeping the pump submerged in fuel at all times. this keeps the pump cool since its only way of cooling is the fuel itself. witch is why if you run out of gas a lot the pump dies because it over heats.

the pump sucks gas in from outside the bucket

and in my car i can not have fuel starvation whit out issues because of my tune if any factor is off i will know about it, the FP gauge will tell me (it drops 3 psi if the tank is low) the wide band O2 will tell me or going lean under boost will all tell me something is wrong.

plus you can't fit 2 fuel pumps in there with the bucket in the way ;)
                            Makes sense since the pump can't draw from the bucket, it has a rubber seal that only allows the fuel to be drawn in through the filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Digiphaze
                              Makes sense since the pump can't draw from the bucket, it has a rubber seal that only allows the fuel to be drawn in through the filter.
                              and and pump would last maybe one tank of gas with out that filter on there...... i know because mine fell of and pump failed 2 day later :twak:
                              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by xcdarrel17
                                Here are the two write-ups out there that I know of.

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html

http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/Fuel-Pump.htm

And this is what my covered hole looks like.
                                Just out of curiosity, what did you use to seal around the panel? JB Weld?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X