Normal idle RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal idle RPM?

I've searched, but only found out that it depends on the temperature. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not...

I had a pretty bad coolant leak/issue, so my dad's friend fixed it. He replaced the water pump, radiator, and intake gasket. I got my car scanned when the SES light came out about a month ago, and it was for the O2 sensor after the cat. So I bought a new sensor. He said that when he scanned the car, it was for high-speed idle or something like that. So I have an O2 sensor sitting on the seat, I'm going to wait a few days to see if that code comes back. Anyways, after picking up the car tonight, I've noticed my idle RPM is a bit higher than it was before. It was around 1200 at idle, when it used to be around 700 before. This messed up my shifting a bit, and I spun leaving his place because I didn't need to give it as much gas as before. I also notice, at least I think, that my gas pedal is closer to the floor than it used to be. When I got home (about a 10 minute drive), the idle RPM had dropped down to about 1000, but that was still higher than what I used to see. Do you think I have a vacuum leak? If so, is it probably at the intake gasket?

Thanks for any input, I'll drive the car more tomorrow since I hate driving at night when the roads are wet.
    <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Re: Normal idle RPM?

My idle is at 1k so the only reason I can think of your idle changing is vaccum leak. I mean it could be injectors clogged, spark plugs, anything but without looking I would guess vaccum. But my RPM's usually idle at 1k exactly.
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

idle is usually supposed to be 1000k and under. Unless its a really cold engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronic Budz
        idle is usually supposed to be 1000k and under. Unless its a really cold engine.
        i believe at cold I idle around 1500 and the lowest mine ever goes is about 800 or 900... I'm usually, well always at 1k
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

that seems high, or maybe I am...

I dunno I think 1000 is pretty high

Can't remember exactly what mine is but I thought it was under 700, like 650

(and after replacing the FPR the needle looks glued in place at idle too, I'm happy about that and the fast starts, now if it wasnt such a boat)

is it even possible to adjust the idle on these manually?

Comment

Re: that seems high, or maybe I am...

Originally posted by cybercide

(and after replacing the FPR the needle looks glued in place at idle too, I'm happy about that and the fast starts, now if it wasnt such a boat)

FPR helped out the idle and consistancy? How hard of a thing is that to install? And how much does that cost? Cuz my idel is kinda rough and sounds just what i need replaced.

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=79714

Comment

Originally posted by Kronic Budz
                FPR helped out the idle and consistancy? How hard of a thing is that to install? And how much does that cost? Cuz my idel is kinda rough and sounds just what i need replaced.
                I don't think this is the kind of part that is usually associated with idle problems. If you have a bad one causing a hard start it may be worth replacing but other than that no... they go bad and cause fuel to leak into the intake manifold thru the vac line, which causes the car to flood for a while after its shut off, and I think the reason it surged a little bit at idle for me. either that or cleaning the injector tips did it, or a combination of the two, I dunno. My idle was pretty consistant before doing this so I doubt this is the miracle fix you are looking for

Comment

here is a stock 97 idle table for an example of roughly what a stock car should idle at. Difference in years is usually no more than 50rpms in each range that I have seen
                  Attached Files
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Mine is a 5spd as well, if that makes any difference.
                    <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

ok i varified it for you. just for you guys i went out and started the beast up. its 1500 cold and 950-1000 hot (rpm) for my 98 v6

Comment

Originally posted by bluovlh8er
                        ok i varified it for you. just for you guys i went out and started the beast up. its 1500 cold and 950-1000 hot (rpm) for my 98 v6
                        ...x2 here

Comment

Originally posted by cybercide

Ok I confirmed mine is under 700... somewhere between 650-700, depending on what angle you look at it

3800 from the year 2000

is that *too* low?

Comment

i mean if its not about to stall or running real rough, well IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT. lol if it runs like crap then somethings wrong.

Comment

I also got an SES code for idle RPM too high. Turns out when the guy who worked on my car put the throttle cable back on, it wasn't on correct. So we fixed it and idle is back to normal. Now I just gotta clear these codes to see if I need this O2 sensor or not...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X