Very weird lurching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very weird lurching

Ok so I have a 97 3.8 camaro, basically stock except exhaust, intake, and hurst shifter. Its a manual and the car has 113k miles on it. Just recently in the past week theres been a strange lurch/jerk that the cars done. I havent really raced the car, have had some fun with it but havent been overly hard on it. Its happened in 3 different gears, only occasionally though, its happened in 5th gear at 1500rpms while not accelerating just going along and its almost like a miss but feels different, its happened while accelerating in 2nd and 3rd also. I am planning on changing the plugs and wires within the next week because its been about 30k miles since last done but do you guys think it could be something more serious like clutch slipping or something? Or possibly rear end troubles? About 6 months ago the clutch cylinders were replaced with new ones.

When I first got the car it was missing really bad because the plugs were bad but this doesnt seem like a miss to me now since then when it was happening it was just when I got on the gas harder, now its doing it randomly. I kind of think it could be the clutch slipping because to me it doesnt sound like the engine is dropping out when it happens. But what do you guys think?

Re: Very weird lurching

is your ses light on? could be a miss. could be a bad drive shaft, did anything happen that might have made the car off balanced?
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

No nothings happened to the car in the past week, it just randomly started all of a sudden and its kept getting worse and worse. Today my service engine soon light came on, but then went off after like an hour.

Comment

sounds to me like one of the coil pack....might be looking into.

Comment

I'm going to move this to General since it moght not be drivetrain..
          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

So I am starting to think your right about it being an ignition coil since I dont think they have been replaced in 114k miles and the missing is totally at random, sometimes I can press down on the gas and no probs sometimes I cant. So how hard is it to replace the coils? I looked at the mod encyclopedia and saw which brand was recommended, anyone else got a suggestion? Or should I just go to GM and get them?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
              ... So how hard is it to replace the coils? I looked at the mod encyclopedia and saw which brand was recommended, anyone else got a suggestion? Or should I just go to GM and get them?
              I got AC Delco coils, $55 shipped for all 3, not too expensive and not too hard to replace them. See here:

Tune-up Tips -- coil deal, plugs, wires, tb, maf, pcv valve, fuel filter, seafoam
              http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=80203

Comment

An update to my problem is that I replaced all the plugs and wires, I replaced the plugs with the iridium ones since for some reason around where I live the auto places only carried those, and I forget what kind of wires I used, but nothing too spendy but I did replace the heatshields and tie wraps and all that.
                I thought for a little while that my problem was fixed but its still doing the same thing. I am positive it is missing now since I can hear it when not in gear pressing the gas and I know without a doubt it is missing. So I am thinking next step is the ignition coils, someone told me to just do one at a time but I think that would be dumb and I should just replace them all at once.

Comment

My SES light just came on so I stopped by an auto store and they hooked the little tester up and came up with a bad mass air flow sensor. I pulled out of their parking lot and got to third gear and put the clutch in to stop and as I was slowing down with just the clutch in the car up and died, then it has been idling bad since then and the rpms drop severely whenever I put the clutch in and dont shift to another gear, like drops to like 300-400 range. Also oil pressure is fluctuating quite a bit when the rpms are dropping, and my oil is fine I have checked.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X