neighbour's having problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neighbour's having problems

My neighbor just bought a 95 3.8 Camaro with 170k miles for dirt cheap. The car runs great, but its leaking oil. There's quite a bit of oil on top of the intake and on the ground when he parks for a while. He also has oil in his antifreeze and he's losing about a litre of oil every 300 miles. Any ideas of what might be his problem?

Re: neighbour's having problems

I'm not a mechanic but I'll throw out a guess of head gasket and maybe valve cover , and intakes leaking. And say not to drive it until it is fixed, unless he wants to replace the engine. There is a reason he got it dirt cheap.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

if there is coolant in the oil then he needs a head gasket. sounds like he also might need an upper intake gasket and maybe valve covers
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

had the same problem on my 96. oil cooler was leaking into the radiator. put new radiator in and it fixed it.
        96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

Rear main seal

Im no mechanic.
          but couuld this be causing it?

Mods:
          Slp Dual Cold Air Intake
          Racing Stripes
          Flowmaster Exhaust [2.5 Pipes, Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler]
          Camaro Fill Ins
          Black Outs
          Tint

Comment

Originally posted by sceneiskeen
            Rear main seal

Im no mechanic.
            but couuld this be causing it?
            no because its in the transmission.
            if it was leaking tranny fluid then yes maybe.

-Y87
            Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

Rear main seal is actually in the engine. However, that's not gonna cause you to have oil on top of your intake and coolant in the oil.

Sounds to me like it could be just the lower intake gasket. That's actually a notorious problem for the 3800 engine.
              1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

yeah he bought the car knowing its problems, but wanted it anyways. He's not driving it now because the oil is dripping off the intake onto his exhaust which could cause a fire. Thanks guys...I'll pass the word on and i'm sure he'll appreciate it. I'll keep you guys posted too.

Comment

PS...what kind of repair costs is he looking at for head gasket, upper intake gasket and valve covers?

Comment

I'll take a guess, for upper/lower intake gaskets, head gaskets and valve covers with parts and labor at the dealer would be around $1200.00 but a local mechanic would be half that at around $600 to $800. Or he could do it himself for the parts of the gaskets maybe $100 to $200, but he might as well put in new spark plugs, spark plug wires, thermo, and pvc valve. Change oil and filter after the heads, intakes and valve covers are done. Maybe new fuel filter, air filter, check the trans fuild,and rear end fuild. Should be good to go after that. I would do this anyway since it was a used car, and who knows what the other owner didn't do, or did do.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

can you remove the heads to change the head gasket while the engine is in the engine bay or do you have to pull/lift the engine?

Comment

No, you do not need a lift, everything is done up top.

Comment

Originally posted by david8399
                          had the same problem on my 96. oil cooler was leaking into the radiator. put new radiator in and it fixed it.
                          we dont have an oil cooler, i'm not sure where you are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by bah
                            we dont have an oil cooler, i'm not sure where you are talking about
                            I didn't catch that one, I hope he meant tranny fuild.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X