This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car can't smoke its tires...

i can't figure out what's wrong with it... it's an almost stock 2000 3.8. it was a former rental car for national car rental. it's got 38k miles it's had all scheduled maintence. it's been like this since i got it. i hold down the brake and stomp the gas and it refuses to smoke the tires. it jumps up to 2k rpms then just stays there. i've also brought the rpms to redline then dropped it into drive (i know it's bad to do that but it usually works) and it slowly began to roll until the rpms came down then it took off... people have been telling me it's because it doesn't have enough power but i know that's bs cause i had a 96 3.8 with over 100k miles and it never had a problem like this... any ideas would be appreciated.

scott

Re: car can't smoke its tires...

ur 96 PROBABLY was a one wheel wonder. you're 2000 has probably got the y87 package with the LSD. so that means that your 3.8L has to spin both wheels and thus twice as much rubber to burn out. dont worry, its normal... mine doesnt burn either, and i got the exact same car. my buddy with his 94 fireturd burns out all the time... but only on the passenger side so dont worry about it. i'd be happier not burning out than just burning one tire honestly.
    burning out with one wheel is like burning out in a puddle of water... its cheating pretty much.
    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

IB4TL!!! but yeah, it will, you just have to know what you are doing, and you dont

Comment

it's actually the other way. my 96 was the y87 and the 2000 is base model. i'm gonna swap the rearends i just wanna know what the problem is so maybe i can fix it while the car is torn apart. i'm wondering if maybe the rental car company did something to it but i wouldn't even know what to look for if they did....

Comment

you are stalling it out, its called the brakes are actually doing their job, you have discs in the back that you didnt in the 96, get used to it or get line locks

Comment

he said his 96 was y87, meaning it too had discs. I have no problem burning out in my lsd car. i imagine the rental company did something to it to keep from people beating it to death.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by bah
              IB4TL!!! but yeah, it will, you just have to know what you are doing, and you dont
              Bingo.

You cant just stomp on the gas and brake at the same time.

These cars have more than enough power to do a burnout, you just not doing it right.

BTW, I dont think you understand how bad revving the engine to redline and then dropping it into gear is. Thats a good way to mess things up really fast.
              1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

lol... theres a technique to burn out? screw it... just NoS the beast and call it good. you'll get plenty of burnouts....
                2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

yeah the 96 had discs too. i'm definitly leaning toward the rental car company having done something. i'll try and research it a little more on the rental car company side and see what i can find out. i'll let you guys know but in the mean time thanks for the help. if all else fails line locks may be my best bet.

Comment

i can't smoke mine either doing that..

but i sure in the hell can squeal the tires though :cool:

Comment

Yeah, you cant just push down the gas and brake and just let off the brake...you have to slowly let the brake out to do a brakestand. It's not to hard but its not good for your brakes whatsoever...so I'd steer away from doing that lol.

Comment

your a moron. keep redlining it and drop it into drive. idiot. get a ls1.:twak:

Comment

hmmmmmm I'm new here (this is my first post) and I gotta say that some of the replies I've seen on here are kinda rude.........

In order to try and be helpful you can try this. It has proven results in any real wheel drive car I've ever tried it in. Get the car to a complete stop, ket your foot off the brake so the car starts to roll a bit, 2 foot the gas and the brake at the same time as hard as you can. Depending on what kinda power your car makes you will either start squealing and leave a lil tread marks or you will BOIL the tires and start getting sideways.

This does take a couple of tries to get it right but once you get the hang of it you can make a respectable smoke show if the car isn't gutless. And for all the doubters out there I'll give the technical explanation of why this works. When you do it this way it transfers all the weight to the front of the car which makes it easier to break the rear tires loose.

Comment

do NOT brake as hard as you can... that's putting a ton of stress on your car that doesn't need to be there. You brake just enough to keep the front wheels locked, and since the brake bias is roughly 65-70% in the front, there is less stress on the rear wheels so they are allowed to spin.

and yes, there are plenty of rude people on here but ya gotta learn to live with it
                            sigpic
                            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

How old are you? 16??? why the f*** you want to put stress on your transmission, brake, gear, real end, tires etc. Just plain stupid. I can't do burnout but so what? I never tried it. If that's all you wanna do, then go buy a a car with Manual transmission. YOu can do burnout all day.

Originally posted by crewgirl
                              hmmmmmm I'm new here (this is my first post) and I gotta say that some of the replies I've seen on here are kinda rude.........
                              Are you f'ing kidding me? If you think we are rude in this message board then you need to sign up on other message boards to see how nice they are. Btw, way to introduce yourself in your first post

:)
                              Last edited by kala; 06-23-2007, 11:33 PM.
                              09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                              sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X