antifreeze shoots about 6 inches out of........(updated) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

antifreeze shoots about 6 inches out of........(updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antifreeze shoots about 6 inches out of........(updated)

thats what i need to figure out, in between the intake and the block in the center of the engine(looking at it from the from)there is this part that is sunk back(like a cubby hole, has a hard plastic hose. and when i rev my car up it shoots antifreeze about 6 inches... but the thing is it only does it for about the first 10 min or so that my car runs... im thinking that it is a seal and after my car warms up it is increasing its size and filling the leak.. but i dont know, does anyone know what this can be and how i would go about fixing it? im already thinking that i am going to have to take the intake off, being that it is so hard to get to.. let me know what you guys think...

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: 1997redchevycamarors ]</p>
    1997 Camaro RS<br /><br />3\" Flowmaster Exhaust,Pacesetter headers,Catco Cat,Cold Air Intake,Clear bumper lights altezzas,chrome rear bumper letters,chrome badges, headlight conversion kit(soon to come),2 12 MTX Thunder 8000, MTX 6500d amp, Fosgate 1 farad cap

do you mean underneath the TB?

what plastic piece? there's a plastic 90* elbow directly underneath the TB...

--matt

Comment

Sounds like your bypass pipe is leaking. This is a 90-degree plastic elbow that is positioned between the intake and the belt tensioner. There are 2 o-rings on the pipe. You may have a bad o-ring, or the pipe may be cracked. The pipe with both o-rings costs about $12.00 at a dealership ... and it's a dealership only part.

If this is the source of your leak, you will need to remove the belt tensioner assembly. The pipe should pop out of the intake when you pull the tensioner off. Try not to twist the tensioner assemnbly too much when you pull it off ... you may break the bypass pipe (if it's not already cracked) or damage the socket in the timing cover that the tensioner presses into.
      2001 Kroger\'s shopping cart<br />MODS-<br />* disabled locking wheel<br />* used Flowmaster and some LS1 parts ... I think there\'s an old Bilstein shock in there too.

Comment

it is leaking around the elbow, that i do know, just i dont know if it is the elbow or something behind it
        1997 Camaro RS<br /><br />3\" Flowmaster Exhaust,Pacesetter headers,Catco Cat,Cold Air Intake,Clear bumper lights altezzas,chrome rear bumper letters,chrome badges, headlight conversion kit(soon to come),2 12 MTX Thunder 8000, MTX 6500d amp, Fosgate 1 farad cap

Comment

is it common for the o-rings on the bypass pipe to leak? or for the pipe itself to crack?

Comment

i've never heard of them leaking before. go to a dealer, buy the elbow & the o-rings, pull your old elbow out & see if it's cracked. if it's not cracked, return the elbow, but replace the o-rings.

i think you're right about when it heats up the part expands & stops the leak btw.

--matt

Comment

The pipe will typically harden over time, and crack along the long outside seam.
              2001 Kroger\'s shopping cart<br />MODS-<br />* disabled locking wheel<br />* used Flowmaster and some LS1 parts ... I think there\'s an old Bilstein shock in there too.

Comment

is that all there is to change that is by taking off the belt tensioner assembly??? so after i get that taking off, the 90 degree elbow pops right off, right?

Comment

you have to remove the belt & alternator & all the bolts in the belt tensioner assembly bracket. then the bracket slides out forward--make sure it comes out evenly, NOT cocked to one side. the elbow will come out with it.

to reinstall, put the elbow into the bracket, then slide the bracket in evenly--NOT cocked. stick your head down there to make sure it's going into the hole. you won't have to push the bracket all the way in, just push it in enough to get the bolts started, and tightening the bolts will pull the bracket in the rest of the way. once the bolts are snug, give the elbow a push, towards the back of the engine. that'll make sure it's seated where it should be.

i put some dow-corning #4 lube onto the orings just to help it fit together easier. not necessary, but it will help with assembly.

you will loose some coolant...if you've had this leak for a while, maybe it'd be a good idea to do a flush while you're at it?

--matt

[ January 05, 2004: Message edited by: awesomeame ]</p>

Comment

well guys, just do you know it was that elbow, it was broken off at the block.. just want to say thanks for the replys of opinions and facts, which probably saved me alot of trouble and money...thanks again

Comment

cool!

--matt

Comment

i was wrong its not fixed. it is still leaking from back in that cubby hole. nat as bad but i can still smell it from inside the car when i get on it. and i checked it out and it was wet back in that hole right. anymore recommendations? thanks guys

Comment

did you replace the orings, or just reuse them?

--matt

Comment

i went to a dealership and bought the whole elbow, orings included and replaced it

Comment

did you check to see it's not seeping outta the bottom of the tb area? just basically see if it's wet, at the seam, between upper intake & tb.

--matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X