X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats wrong with my car

Car: 94 pontiac firebird v6 A4
    mileage: 130,5000

ok well im coming to the conclusion that my mpg is crap becuase im wasting time letting it warm up before i drive her.

When i first start my car when it is dead cold, it needs atleast acouple minutes before i can drive it(sometime let it run for 5 minutes before driving it becuase i like running a warm engine, not a ****ty cold one)

becuase it will idle higher then normal and and rpms needle will be irradic when just cruises and turning the wheel at low speeds.

I have replaced a ton of items on my car for mpg and maintenance tripping. The only things i can think about that may be in need of change is coil packs.

If anyone can come up with the best solution of why i cant achieve more then 250 miles to a tank(around city, dont remember what my highway mileage is, prob way better)

I will pay you money if you help me figure this one out.

Noah

Re: whats wrong with my car

have u tried to seafoam your car yet???

Comment

mileage: 130,5000.
      ....WHITE CAMARO CLUB....? =(

Comment

Originally posted by mattyacks
        mileage: 130,5000.

i think u kno what he means.

try a major tuneup. plugs wires coils belts pulleys, fuel filter, airfilter. check your cat, have your alternator checked.

are u throwing any codes?

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS

try a major tuneup. plugs wires coils belts pulleys, fuel filter, airfilter. check your cat, have your alternator checked.

this is the only thing i can think of aswell
          ....WHITE CAMARO CLUB....? =(

Comment

he should still be able to get decent mileage from the car if everything's working properly. I'd say do Niko said and do a complete tune up. Everything should be changed in the engine and tranny. check tire pressure, change oil, tranny fluid, etc...
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Check your fuel pressure and make sure it is proper, and then remove your fuel injectors and have them cleaned. If injector spray pattern is not right (because of dirty injectors or lower than spec fuel pressure) your fuel atomization is compromised and thus combustion will not be as efficient.
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
                Check your fuel pressure and make sure it is proper, and then remove your fuel injectors and have them cleaned. If injector spray pattern is not right (because of dirty injectors or lower than spec fuel pressure) your fuel atomization is compromised and thus combustion will not be as efficient.

that is my guess as well, my fuel pump went out at 132k, mayb your's is on the way out

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4
                  have u tried to seafoam your car yet???
                  yes i have seafoamed my car in all ways, helped but didnt solve it

Originally posted by Niko97RS

i have done all these things in the past 8k or less and alternator/optima battery are in good condition.

No codes are being thrown at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB

How do i check the fuel pressure? How skilled do i have to be to do this? What about cleaning injectors?

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                    that is my guess as well, my fuel pump went out at 132k, mayb your's is on the way out
                    Mabey you are right, when i turn my key to the on position, i do hear a pretty loud click in the engine bay, sometimes it happens acouple times..

Also, when i leave the key in the on position, i hear wierd clicking noised near the throttle body. Wierd huh? Anyone know about that.

Comment

to check the fuel pressure you will need a fuel pressure gage. They are pretty cheap, one of your friends may even have one.
                      Along the fuel rail, you will see a little valve that kinda looks like a tire valve.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

well you could just get a new car? Mines a 2000 firebird and its in perfect condition. i've had a few tune ups. I always get about 200-250 miles per tank. I put fuel injector cleaner in my car everytime i do an oil change (3000miles) If getting 200-250 miles a tank is not right then idk. firebirds like gas?..

Comment

yea, i would LIKE to sell my car becuase i would feel more comfortable and know the reliability of a newer fbody.

But i have put so much work and time and money into my car. And its my first car.

I am attached to it, i cant help it. I no things are gunna go wrong with it, but my mind is telling me to keep it and drive it for longer.

Besides, i already had a blown head gasket, and now i feel that my tranny would be the next big thing on its way out.

Comment

i think its you, we had a 95 3.4 a4 w/ 115k when she'd drive 15mpg when I'd drive 22 thats when it was compleatly stock and i drive fairly hard. Being smooth, steady and observent to whats going on ahead can make a huge difference in your mpg. after porting my tb, upper intake and installing a test pipe and cold air intake my mpg when up to 26-28 in town.

edit:summer also brings worse mpg in an under power'd car like the stock 3.4l

Comment

From toledo to louisville I obtained 31 mpg in my firebird. bone stock.

You just need to ease into the throttle, make all your shifts at low RPM's...

Keep AC off and windows up if its cool out, AC off and windows cracked if its hot...

Only got 28 mpg on the way back? Dont really know why, maybe if the head lights are up?

Pretend there is an egg underneath your foot and press gently to the gas, Use your cruise...

Chirping tires from every red light does nothing for fuel economy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X