Strange sound when accellerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sound when accellerating

I got my car about 3 months ago, a 2000 V6 Firebird, and it's had this problem. When I accelerate, a strange sound comes from under the passenger side of the car. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's a medium pitched sound, and it's sort of like a whirring sound. Maybe this is normal for a Firebird because it doesn't sound extremely bad, but it does sound like something is not quite right. I tried putting the car in neutral and revving it, but that doesn't cause the sound which makes me think it's something to do with the drive train. I guess another way to describe it would be it sounds like the drive shaft is slightly loose and is shaking while it is spinning. I have no idea if that can happen though, as I haven't worked on cars much at all, I'm still trying to learn. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mike

Re: Strange sound when accellerating

im guessing it might be something to do with the brakes.
    how old are they?
    run your fingers around the front and back of the rotor, are they abnormally ruff? if so, that might be your problem

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Engine light on? have u gone for inspection like for emissions? if ur knowledgable about cars a little and know how to safely jck it up do so grab a rubber hammer and bang on the cat its right under the passengers seat. if it rattles i think it might be your problem and might only be the sheilds take em of with a big screw driver hit it again. if the noise is still there your brick inside the cat has broken up and needs to be replaced. thats what i got from your description hope any of that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My brakes were changed soon after I got the car, and they feel smooth. My engine light was recently on, but I scanned the codes and they were the 3 oxygen low voltage ones. I've had those before, and I looked around on here and found a post that described that problem perfectly, and it said it was just a tempermental ground for the sensors and that's why all 3 came at the same time. It comes only if I pull hard all the way though second gear, and won't come back after I reset until I do that again. But if you think it's a cat problem, I'll do what you said to see if anything's wrong with it. And to clarify, I know enough about cars to do basic tune up stuff like fluids and brake pads(the last brake job was done by a shop though), and I understand how most things work, just have very little experience actually doing it.

Thanks again,
        Mike

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X