Replaced head gaskets, any problems to look for down the road? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced head gaskets, any problems to look for down the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced head gaskets, any problems to look for down the road?

I've got a 3.4L with 140,000 miles on the ticker. I just had the heads rebuilt and new gaskets installed because I was leaking coolant somewhere internally. Luckily it wasn't leaking into the oil because my oil never turned milky. Before I had the top end rebuilt, I had to top off my radiator everytime I drove it anywhere. I also had problems with it trying to overheat.

A few weeks before the rebuild, I had the radiator removed and rodded. The entire cooling system was also power flushed. The mechanic warned me that power flushing may worsen any leaks that were already present. I guess it did. Nonetheless, he removed a palmfull of rubber debris from the radiator and a small pile of leaves from the fins.

My car seems to be running very well now, three weeks after her little visit with the doctor. I changed my plugs/wires/o2 sensors yesterday and they perked the motor up quite a bit. [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]

Is there anything I should watch out for in the next few months? Like, the water pump going out, other parts failing from the leaks, or stuff like that? I would like to stay on top of anything that might try to suprise me in the future.

Any 3.4 guys with super miles like me have any advice?
    95 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Bosch plugs/MSD wires, K&N FIPK , Magnaflow catback, hi-flo cat, B&M Shift+, Dee\'s spacer<br />Kenwood KDX-859, eXcelon Amps, Infinity Kappa 3-way doors and Perfect10 sub<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/harbins95\" target=\"_blank\">Behold, the raw fury that is known as the 3.4!!!</a>

The reason I ask is this, several mechanics said the same thing about my motor when I was calling around to compare prices. They all said that this block is notorious for blown head gaskets. :mad: I've been reading this board for several years now and never heard that, but when several mechanics say the same thing it makes me wonder.

Too bad I didn't hear about my motor's bad reputation a few thousand miles ago, I would have traded it in for a newer model. :rolleyes:
    95 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Bosch plugs/MSD wires, K&N FIPK , Magnaflow catback, hi-flo cat, B&M Shift+, Dee\'s spacer<br />Kenwood KDX-859, eXcelon Amps, Infinity Kappa 3-way doors and Perfect10 sub<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/harbins95\" target=\"_blank\">Behold, the raw fury that is known as the 3.4!!!</a>

Comment

I got my car when it had 97k miles. I blew out the head gaskets at 103 k, thats only because i dogged the sh!t out of it. Im talking i redlined it everytime i drove it.

Im actually surprised it lasted even that long. I dogged it so bad i would only get 140 miles fro ma full tank.

They fixed the blown head gasket and now its as good as new, not i dont dogg it....as much :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X