whirring sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whirring sound?

I just bought a 99 Firebird a couple days ago, and i just noticed a soft whirring sound that increases as i go faster. every car Ive driven before this one has never made this sound. Im hoping its just an F-body thing. it sounds like its comming from under the car. any help?

Re: whirring sound?

first things that come to mind are, tranny and rear end.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

is it coming from the front, rear or both? When you say increases as you drive or when you push on the throttle... if it does it when you are in neutral then it probably isn't the drivetrain. Give us some more info.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

its as my speed increases. it sounds like its comming from right under me...so i hope its the tranny, cause im gonna be swapping the auto for a manual pretty soon here.

Comment

probably just from the driveshaft then.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
            probably just from the driveshaft then.
            ....x2
            Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

so its just normal noise from the car? thank god...ive driven a Bonneville forever so im used to cars that GM took the time on making quiet. they must not have figured people that drive these cars care much about noise, which i dont, i just was hoping it wasnt a problem. Thanks guys.

Comment

I don't know if its normal but thats probably where the sounds is coming from. There isn't much else to make a sound under your seat except the driveshaft. Get under there and take a peek.

Comment

oh ok, whats to look for? loose bolts? buildup?

Comment

Originally posted by DHiser27
                    oh ok, whats to look for? loose bolts? buildup?
                    well... its hard to tell. I'm not sure what a whirring sound is. I mean it could mean something different to me. Get in the car... rev it and listen for the sound. If you hear nothing then drive it or have someone walk next to the car and listen for an exact or close area.

Get under the car, find that spot, and look for anything out of the ordinary. I'd move things around and see if anything is lose. You can see if anything makes any noises when you are investigating. I just don't know what would make a whirring noise. I mean the driveshaft may not be true.

Comment

thats a good point
                      Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

yeah...alright, ill check it all out tomorrow. thanks for your help. ill keep you posted on what i find. thanks a lot for the help :cool:

Comment

well, found the problem i hope. the differential is leaking fluid, so i figure the gears may just be makin some noise because they arent properly lubricated. im gonna get readin up on how to fix said problem, if anyone can help out that'd be great. is a special fluid and gasket needed? im sure there is, i dont even know why i asked that.

Comment

My buddy's dad does all rear end work and pretty much amazing at it. I get the same sound as you (like a howling sound). He said it was the rear end and that it wont hurt anything. It just gets annoying.

Comment

are you sure? i think i need to go to a dealership and test drive one of their V6 F-bodies just to see if it gets the same noise. I checked the fluid in the differential and it definately wasnt low, just black as hell, so im gonna change it. its hard to explain the noise. its not loud at all. you can only hear it when the radio is off and the windows are up. i sure hope its nothing, just the sound of a car with a differential. this is my first rear wheel drive car, so im just hoping its not the driveshaft U-joints or anything like that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X