Replacing water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing water pump

My car was running hot and I checked the coolant and noticed it was low and the water pump looks like it is leaking. I filled it up yesterday and this morning there was a puddle of coolant under the car.

1. How can I verify it is the water pump?

2. Any special tools I will need to replace it, from doing a couple searches it seems pretty easy?

3. Where should I get one from? Would it be better to order one from gmpartsdirect or should I just pick one up from napa or autozone?

I bought one from O'reilys and have had no problems with it. Very easy to do your self. Most time consuming is getting the old gasket off.

Mine was leaking from the weep holes (had coolant getting all over the serpentine belt and then flung all over the engine bay).

Comment

Do I need a remove any pulley's that I would need a pulley remover? I read through some old topics and it looks like you have to on the 3.4, but what about the 3.8?

[ January 06, 2004: Message edited by: jpws6 ]</p>

Comment

the pulley on the water pump is the only one you need to remove after removing the drive belt. The only other thing that I could tell you to make sure to do right is to tighten it back to the right specs with a torque wrench. 132 in-lbs or 11 ft-lbs, and then an additonal 80-degrees. Fairly easy procedure.

John
        White 1998 Firebird M5, Suncoast WS6 hood, Chrome 18\" C5\'s, beaver tail wing, 2 15\" Kicker Comp VR\'s, ect.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
          by ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
          1 week ago
        • RPDRed6
          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
          by RPDRed6
          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
          3 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          No start problem
          by ssms5411
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X