Scanning a 94 3.4 OBD1 Computer? SES light? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scanning a 94 3.4 OBD1 Computer? SES light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning a 94 3.4 OBD1 Computer? SES light?

Ok well I am just wondering about onboard diagnostics codes scanning on my computer. I have heard different things from searching and cant get a clear answer.

I dont really have an autozone around me and my car has never showed the service engine light, How can i get codes to be thrown or shown from testing?

If i need the service engine light on to pull any codes from the computer, then is there a way to make the service engine light or trick it to come on and then to scan the computer with a tester, to be able to see the codes being thrown. Because i have a feeling there are some weird codes with my transmission and more.

Anyone?

Re: Scanning a 94 3.4 OBD1 Computer? SES light?

im not 100% sure, but from what ive been told the codes should still be stored in the computer. so all you need to do is get a obd1 scanner and it should read the codes.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

does your 94 have the OBD1 plug on it (square plug) or the OBD2 plug on it (trapezoidal plug)? If its the OBD1 plug, you can pull the codes yourself using a paper clip. If its the OBD2 plug, you can attempt to use the OBD2 machine that most parts stores will use to scan your car for free..... but most likely, that wont work.. and if that is the case, you are best off going to the dealer cause they should be able to pull the codes..
      Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

its a 94 so it has the obd1 plug. 95s had the obd2 connector.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        Or this

Comment

yea i no that those little scanners are kinda of expensive, but how much do u think a dealer would charge me to have the codes read?

A paper clip scanner?

Comment

not sure on the the cost, it varies. some do it for free some charge a arm and a leg.

the paper clip thing...

you stick a paper clip in the connector port and its supposed to set the ses light off and it blinks out the codes. seems like a pita to me to do when you could just find someone to scan it and know for sure what the codes are.

Follow me!
            Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
              not sure on the the cost, it varies. some do it for free some charge a arm and a leg.

the paper clip thing...

you stick a paper clip in the connector port and its supposed to set the ses light off and it blinks out the codes. seems like a pita to me to do when you could just find someone to scan it and know for sure what the codes are.

ahaha, yea that seems so cutty getting codes with a paperclip. Also sounds pretty confusing having to decode the codes. lol

Comment

the paper clip thing is simple. and free.. the codes will be two digits long, and most of them repeat twice before moving onto the next code.

write down teh codes as they blink out, then grab a haynes manual.. the definitions are in the middle of teh book, around section 6 or 7..

simple, and free.. try that before paying $75 at a dealer for them to tell you the same thing..
                Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Originally posted by camaroman1181
                  the paper clip thing is simple. and free.. the codes will be two digits long, and most of them repeat twice before moving onto the next code.

write down teh codes as they blink out, then grab a haynes manual.. the definitions are in the middle of teh book, around section 6 or 7..

simple, and free.. try that before paying $75 at a dealer for them to tell you the same thing..
                  you know this method works for sure on a 94 bird obd1 computer and 12 pin connector?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X