Guys take a look at this repair estimate... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys take a look at this repair estimate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys take a look at this repair estimate...

This is for my sister's '96 dodge grand caravan (3.3L V6, about 125000 mi)

The Problem:

Last week, she noticed that at 50mph the RPM was at 4000. I had a similar problem before with the same van, ended up replacing the transmission with a new one from the dealership (don't ask why, I tried my best to get her to replace the damn car).

This time around, she took it to a dealership here in NC and was told that the "Input and Output Speed Sensors" are bad and will cost $190 to fix. Of course, as expected they gave her a laundry list of "recommended" repairs seen below.

This van also had its frontend rebuilt by another dealership back in November '06 and that is still under warranty. I am trying to get more details from sis on this, but right now the list looks really suspect.

Another detail - when she first took the van to a local auto shop for an estimate, she was told the transmission looks way too old for a new piece that was put in maybe 1.5 yr ago. What should I look for to confirm that this is true? Because she obviously paid the price for a new transmission (not rebuilt) from the very first dealership (before these current ones in NC).

Argh sorry for writing a book. I just think it would have been wiser to replace the vehicle in the first place.

Repair quote
    Input and Output Speed Sensors $190.00

Left and Right Front Axles $460.00

Valve Cover Gasket Leak $310.00

Trans Cooler Line $120.00

Oil Pan Gasket $170.00

Front Crank Seal $140.00

Sway Bar Links and Bushings $315.00

Serpentine Belt and Tensioner $220.00

Major Tune-up $240.00

Transmission Service $140.00

Throttle Body/Fuel Injection Service $190.00

Fuel Filter $100.00

Air Filter & PCV Valve $50.00

Lube Oil and Filter $34.00
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Re: Guys take a look at this repair estimate...

I'd find out the price of the two trans sensors. If reasonable, have them just change that.. Deny any of that other garbage... I mean, $100 for a fuel filter? 200 for a belt and tensioner?? 315 for sway bar endlinks?! wow..
    Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Take it to another dealer or service mechanic. Why would they need to touch oil related seals and gaskets for a speed sensor? Why would you need to repalce the cv's, if they are good they shouldn't need to be replaced? If it's truly a speed sensor then go buy a hayne's manual and swap it out yourself. GL
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

this dude is trying to fix everything wrong with the van. I would take it to someone else.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

The fuel filters in the caravan's are some big mama jamas. The tensioner is notorous for failing, that alone is about $70 and a belt replaced is close to $100 from local shops. The stealership is always more expensive.

I do think she should just get rid of it. I have a caravan and it has been sitting in my garage for over 6 months, coz of the lack of desire and dedication of funds to the van.

Comment

Appreciate all the input so far. Well she's getting ready for a move, and I do mean a move as in all the way up to New York. So I think even with the repair it would be cheaper than to get a U-haul the entire way.

Let me clear something up. The dealership told me that right now, the speed sensors are the *only* absolutely required repair to get a drivable car.

My new questions to you: are the input/output speed sensors considered part of the transmission? Since she got that new transmission from another dealership, can she use that to get this fixed for free or reduced cost?

I did some research and found some dodge caravan speed sensors for $30 each, so about $60 for parts (input & output). Are they overcharging on the labor part?

I also found some diagrams of a jeep wrangler's speed sensors. They look like tiny chips attached to the transmission. That's what we're talking about right?
            Heading over to the dealership after work today. Again, appreciate your inputs!
            \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

WTF...those guys are trying to rip you off majorly.

For instance, it takes mabye 10 minutes to get the throttle body off and 15 minutes to clean it and put it back on. They just use detergent to clean your fuel injectors. Yet they're charging you 190 for that.

Serpentine belt and tensioner will cost maybe 50 bucks MAX. Then it takes like 20 minutes at the most to install both. That's not $170 worth of labor.

Those are just a couple of the things that aren't right. They are trying to overcharge you a LOT for things which, 80% of don't even need to be done probably.
              1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

If the speed sensors have to be changed I would get them done and leave the rest. After a car gets to a certain point it's better to get it drivable and then sell it.

Comment

$34 for an oil change and $100 for a fuel filter!!! HAHAHAHAHHA

CROOKS I TELL YA, CROOKS!

Comment

Yeah the serpentine belt quote really stood out for me when I first saw the entire quote. However I've never worked with speed sensors before, but from the almighty google it sounds doesn't look too bad. They basically go on the transmission casing (at least on the jeep, can't imagine a major difference), so it shouldn't be too a difficult job.

Comment

Yeah. I know it would take me all of 5 minutes to replace mine once I had the car in the air. Of course the van will be different...maybe harder to get to. But still.
                      1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X