Got my Westers chip today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Westers chip today

I got my Westers programming today. I installed it (took about 15 mins) and now my car is not charging correctly. My charge gauge is low in the red. Has anyone who got the Westers had this issue?

I also don't see much difference. I do notice that it is shifting better now, after my 3.08 to 3.42 swap it was really shifting like crap. It is shifting better now, although I still don't think it is totally right. I notice a slight power increase accelerating at highway speed.

However, from a standstill I still think my car is slower than it was before the 3.08 to 3.42 swap.

I have only driven it about 10 miles now and it is suppose to take 30-60 miles until it learns everything. So I will be patient.

I would go drive it more right now but it is getting dark and I don't want to use the headlights with my charging issue.
    SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Drive it around for about 40-60 miles. You'll feel it. Play with it - gun it around get it going through the whole RPM range. Abuse it a little [img]smile.gif[/img] You'll notice it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Dekay is right. It takes a few miles before you'll feel the full effect. The computer has to relearn everything. So, you need to get on it a few times also. I did not have any problem with my car not charging correctly. Everything seems to run great with the Westers computer installed. Just give it some time.

Also, what type of programming did you get?
      2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
      5 speed
      Project: Unreal
      Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
      2007 Chevy Aveo 5
      Mods K&N air filter:excited:
      www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

I got the 91 octane hot tune (there is no 93 octane around here). My car is mostly stock except for my 3.42 gears (up from 3.08) and slp cai (and whisper lid).

The only think I am really concerned about right now is the charging issue. I am going to contact Tbyrne today and see if it is a known issue.
        SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Did any of you guys let the car idle for the required 10 to 15 minutes before driving. It really helps the PCM get started on the acclimation process to your car.
          2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Hmm, the instructions didn't say anything about letting it idle 10-15 minutes. It just said wait until the idle stabilizes and then drive it for 30-60 miles in stop and go traffic.

My car started right up and the idle was a little high and then after about 15 secs it dropped down to normal.

On my way to work this morning I can tell the computer is learning the new setup, it is defintely doing a lot better. I was nervous at first but it seems to be coming along nicely. I am only concerned about my charging issue now. My shifting woes after the 3.08 -&gt;3.42 swap defintely appear to be gone. I just have to get someone to pace me to make sure my speedo is correct.

Comment

Does your PCM fit snuggly in the plastic holder? Mine moves around. I have it clipped in those clips but it still moves around.

Comment

Ok, one more complaint besides the charging issue (which btw my battery probably only has enough juice to start my car twice more). My 1-2 shift at WOT hits the rev limiter when taking off from a dead stop and I don't think it shifts from 2-1 when it should either.

I am wondering if it was worth the $500.

Comment

Originally posted by mjparme:
                  Does your PCM fit snuggly in the plastic holder? Mine moves around. I have it clipped in those clips but it still moves around.
                  Nope, mine fits nice in snug. One thing you may want to recheck is, even if yo get the chip in the two clips. The black holder, the hard plastic piece. This also has a clip that you must make sure is fitted nice in snug in the metal of the engine compartment.

Ok, one more complaint besides the charging issue (which btw my battery probably only has enough juice to start my car twice more). My 1-2 shift at WOT hits the rev limiter when taking off from a dead stop and I don't think it shifts from 2-1 when it should either.

I don't know about the charging issue. That's strange. As for the 1-2 shift at WOT. When you say it hits the rev limiter. do you mean it gets stuck right at the rev limiter?

You may want to either call them or email them. They say on their website if the FAQ's on their website does not help you, to call them or you can email them letting them know of any problems you are having so they can help fix them.
                  2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
                  5 speed
                  Project: Unreal
                  Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
                  2007 Chevy Aveo 5
                  Mods K&N air filter:excited:
                  www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Ok, my charging issue was a bad alternator. Odd that it went bad right after changing the PCM. Although now since I look at the guage it hasn't been in its current position for some time. So the alternator has probably been weak for a while.

Now since my car has a good charging system and I can actually drive the car without worrying I really like the new PCM! I was worried at first because my shifting woes didn't go away and the car had no power. But I stayed patient and by the time I hit 30-40 miles...wow! Seems like everytime I drive it it gets better and better. I got a pretty good squeal of my tires today at the light. Something that never happened with the 3.08 and open diffy (except when it was very cold) and defintely not something that was happening after my gear swap to the 3.42. With the LSD it should be even harder to squeal but it did which showed me the PCM and gears are working pretty good. Can't wait to get to the track to get some times and to prove to myself the gear swap and custom PCM was worth the money. Track times are obviously more reliable than the butt-o-meter. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The 1-2 WOT rev limiter issue remains. It will hit the rev limiter stay there for a couple of seconds and then shift. That is going to kill my times at the track. I am going to give it another day to "learn" (because it does seem to be doing a little better) and then email Tbyrne. I alread emailed them about it but told them I would get back to them when I had my charging system fixed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X