Missing Coolent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Coolent

hey guys whats up. ok here is my problem, The other day my wife was driveing the car and she called me and tld me the car was over heating. the funny thing is she told me there was no coolent in the car and i just filled it up not 5 months ago. i have looked all over in and under the car and i can't find anything, no leaking spots on the drive way, no signs of a small dripage the motor and there is no white smoke at all. i am stumped to say the least. i have a 2000 camaro 3.8L i know it help to know what car you are dealing with. thanks guys and i hope you all can help.

Re: Missing Coolent

Is the oil milky? If the oil checks out and you can't visually confirm a leak I would take it to a shop to get pressure checked.
    Last edited by HokieBird; 08-01-2007, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Definitley get a pressure test done. Its cheap and really the only way to tell what's wrong.

Good chance its the lower intake manifold gasket. Very common and a bit on the expensive side.

Mine leaked very slowly for probably a year. I just kept an eye on the coolant until I was able to pay for the repair.

Good luck.
      1999 Camaro V6 3.8L A4<br />Red, T-tops, Monsoon<br />No mods.......yet.

Comment

Im having the same problem. However the other day i heard a hissing sound after my car was warmed up, i looked under the hood and saw green coolantlightly spraying out between the intake and the block right in the front of the engine. After talking to my Mechanic he said he would charge me 4 or 5 hundred dollars to fix the problem. Well i found the gasket set at autozone for $34.XX. so i think im going to attempt to take this weekend off and try to replace it myself!

If anyone has any suggestions please post them, i am open for all help at this point!

Comment

Originally posted by rocks_n_stones21
          Im having the same problem. However the other day i heard a hissing sound after my car was warmed up, i looked under the hood and saw green coolantlightly spraying out between the intake and the block right in the front of the engine. After talking to my Mechanic he said he would charge me 4 or 5 hundred dollars to fix the problem. Well i found the gasket set at autozone for $34.XX. so i think im going to attempt to take this weekend off and try to replace it myself!

If anyone has any suggestions please post them, i am open for all help at this point!
          Have plenty of tools and patience err I mean beer.
          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by bullit70
            hey guys whats up. ok here is my problem, The other day my wife was driveing the car and she called me and tld me the car was over heating. the funny thing is she told me there was no coolent in the car and i just filled it up not 5 months ago. i have looked all over in and under the car and i can't find anything, no leaking spots on the drive way, no signs of a small dripage the motor and there is no white smoke at all. i am stumped to say the least. i have a 2000 camaro 3.8L i know it help to know what car you are dealing with. thanks guys and i hope you all can help.
            When she checked the coolant, did she check the level in the reservoir, or did she just pop the radiator cap off and look in there? After letting my engine cool off, I would look into the radiator, and every time the coolant was about 4 inches from the top. I was wondering where the coolant had been going because I had no signs of external leaks. Well I found out one day after coming home from a drive, I looked under the hood, there was coolant all over the reservoir and battery. The coolant had gushed out of the tiny hole that was on the reservoir cap. So every time I added coolant, it was getting pushed into the reservoir because my cooling system apparently has an air leak. My guess is either a head gasket or intake manifold gasket. I can get those cheap from AutoZone. I don't know if the reservoir cap on the 3.8s have a hole, but after driving the car, you might want to look under the hood.
            1995 Bluish green 3.4l Camaro.<br />Bone stock right now lol!<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X