a few serious questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few serious questions

1. i just did my brothers oil change and the filter advance gave me looked way bigger than any one i have ever put in , in fact it was almost twice as long as the one i took out, the guy who gave it to me is an idiot and i'm sure he gave me one for an ls1 instead of a 6, does that make sense? regardless, the filter went in ok, but will it cause any trouble?

2. my 93 firebird has never shown any signs of life in terms of the engine temp, it just stays at zero and has never moved, i went to change the coolant temp sensor, which was a pita and when trying to put the sensor back in it would not fit!!! either they gave me the wrong one or god hates me. anyone have this problem? cuz right now my sensor is just hangin out.

will this cause any probs?

thanx

Re: a few serious questions

1. They gave you the filter for the 4x4 5.0, 5.7L & 4.3L GM trucks. The only difference is the length, so you'll be fine.

2. Did the sensor screw in? If it screwed in then you'll be fine, you just wont have any temperature gauge. (Although that seems to have been your problem). Next time, compare new vs old before installing.
    Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Dawizman I think hit it, they may have given you the Blazer/S10 4.3 oil filter. Nothing wrong if that's the case, the thread size and seal is the same, in fact I always use those on mine just because they are larger, so better filtering and holds more oil. Capacity goes up to 5 quarts. I would definitely look up the part number though to verify what application the filter is for before you go to try and put it on.

The 3.4 has 2 different temp sensors, one in the lower intake manifold (it's tucked in behind the thermostat neck under the plenum) and one in the front corner of the driver's side head. The one in the LIM is the temp sensor for the PCM and the one in the head is for your gauge. You have to specify which sensor you need and make sure you are replacing the correct one!
      1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

i use the longer filter also

Comment

And for the record....the ls1 filter is almost the same as the 6.
          1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

the sensor i'm replacing is the one located at the head, are u crazy..... i could never get to the one behind the thermostat that would be ridiculous! besides, its my gauge thats not working right.

Comment

[QUOTE=FunkZ]Dawizman I think hit it, they may have given you the Blazer/S10 4.3 oil filter. Nothing wrong if that's the case, the thread size and seal is the same, in fact I always use those on mine just because they are larger, so better filtering and holds more oil. Capacity goes up to 5 quarts. I would definitely look up the part number though to verify what application the filter is for before you go to try and put it on.

do you know the part # for the bigger k&n filter?

Comment

just do a cross reference on a PF52 filter

Comment

or you could do it for me cuz i don't know what u mean =)

Comment

Hp-2001

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro
                      Hp-2001

i'm guessin thats the part # for the larger k&n filter right?

Comment

There are lots of people working at Advance Auto and Autozone that don't know jack sh*t about cars. There are a few good ones, but that's about it.

Do yourself a favor. If you shop at Advance go to their website and find the part that you need. Then print the part and part number and take it to the store with you. Then when they hand you the part check it against your part #. I do this all the time, and they are wrong 50% of the time.

I have saved myself myself lots of aggravation by doing this and it works every time.

Comment

i hear ya, they gave me the wrong tranny filter one time and it caused alot of frustration trying to fit in a filter that wasnt correct until i realized they gave me the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                            i'm guessin thats the part # for the larger k&n filter right?
                            yup it is

Comment

thanx, preciate it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X