Running waterpump in reverse? Can it be done? 3.4L motor... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running waterpump in reverse? Can it be done? 3.4L motor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running waterpump in reverse? Can it be done? 3.4L motor...

Jsut wondering if you could run the 3.4L waterpump in reverse? Or at least be somewhat effective...

I am jsut wondering if it can be done(fins on Waterpump are wierd shaped, and the whole thermostat problems) I am doubting it but can't hurt to ask.

Some engines do use a reverse cooling system where the coolent flows through the heads first and then into the engine block, but still flows the same through the radiator. You won't be able to do it with a standard flowing system w/o major changes, including the water pump. Simple spinning the water pump backwards won't work, plus the design won't alloy for efficient water transfer.
    1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

I know it wouldn't be nearly optimal but unless I remove the thermostat, or flip it it won't work. I am not trying to redesign my cooling system like a reverse cooling lt1, but mainly was seeing if I coudl sjtu put a belt from water pump to crank pulley, so the waterpump would still spin even with the drivebelt off, the problem is it would run backwards, a 30-40% cooling effectiveness woud make me happy since it would be a defient at track only mod [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X