Strange noise when the engines cold... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange noise when the engines cold...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise when the engines cold...

I'm goin to the track tonight and me and a friend were talking about different octane ratings. I'm using 87 octane, just because i have no money. When I first start my car and its still cool, if i floor it while i'm driving, before the engine gets warmed up, i hear a strange rattling noise. Is this knocking? Due to low octane gas? Maybe its something else? Or maybe its just because my engine has 148,000 miles on it and i dont think the previous owner took care of it.
    -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

It's probably just the lifters or other valvetrain ticking. Can you tell about where the noise is coming from?
    87 is fine for our engines, there's no point in wasting money on higher octane gas if you're running NA.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i cant tell exactly because i cant put my head in the hood while i'm driving, im not sure if it does it when im not in gear, i'll have to check.What are the lifters or other valvetrain? Sounds like its coming from the block.. or at least that general area
      -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

I had a similar problem like that. Ended up being a retainer spring for the pulley's. It was worn so when the car was cold it didnt hold well against the tight belt. After belt loosened from warming up the ticking went away.
        98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

You should not floor your car when the engine is cold. The oil is just getting to the top of the cylinders at that point and it is just not good for your car or tranny for that matter ;)
          1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X