Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got SECURITY LIGHT Fixed

Just came from the shop..

My security light kept turning on, and i wouldnt be able to start my car, sometimes an hour at a time. The light would go off even randomly while I was driving. The situation was getting very annoying.

After doing reasearch on this board, and visiting shops in Brooklyn, NY i concluded the problem was the damaged security cable inside my stearing column.

If you experience this problem, I cant stress it enough, do NOT! visit your pontiac dealership!

They know exactly what the problem is, but they will tell youll have to replace the whole stearing
    wheel security mechanism, and get new keys. They will charge you $400+. DONT DO IT. Go to few Alarm places around you and shop around, they PASS II problem is very very common.

I would recommend you shop around and visit few local alarm places, even some mech shops, and speak to the ppl there...and see if they are experienced with this problem... thats what i did..

I fixed the problem for $120, its a lot, but its the cheapest one i could find and i needed it to be fixed fast. After being stranded few nights ago in the cold, trying to start the car.. i got fed up.

The problem is not always a damaged security light. Before you spend money on fixing this problem, clean your keys, it could be the dirty resistor on the key. But you know you have a problem when it goes off while driving!

Also if the problem is in the FACTORY security system itself, and not in damaged security wire, you can deactivate it for $100 or so, ask your mechanic for more details..

Good luck.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: nyclaidback ]</p>
    97 Firebird <br />Flowmaster series 80 Muffler,<br />3\" Highflow Cat, <br />3\" CatBack, <br />20% Tints All around.<br />2.5\" dual out (soon quad stainless steel-from fasttoys)

I had the same problem over and over so I went had a new 'brain' put in my viper alarm and they worked my factory stuff into it. They pretty much rewired my whole security system. WORKS WONDERS
    <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

Comment

warranty worked wonders for me...I even got a rental beater for a day. :D

I love driving a car that no one owns! :cool:

Comment

I had somewhat of a similar problem. I took it to the dealer, paid $65 for diagnostic and they told me I needed a new ignition cylinder. It was going ot cost $420. I told them to go screw themselves and I bought the part from the dealer. It was only $55. I just took it to a friend of and he charged me $150 for a 3 hour job. He had to take apart the whole steering wheel and then he put the cylinder in. The old one had a wire burnt thats why the security light was on and the car stopped starting. So the total cost for me was $260. I guess since you knew how to fix it you had the cost down to $150.
        2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

97 Firebird <br />Flowmaster series 80 Muffler,<br />3\" Highflow Cat, <br />3\" CatBack, <br />20% Tints All around.<br />2.5\" dual out (soon quad stainless steel-from fasttoys)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X