reduced engine power, and strange exhaust - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reduced engine power, and strange exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reduced engine power, and strange exhaust

ok guys,
    the other night when i was driving home i applied about 3/4 throttle from a stop sign, and all of the sudden my car basically dies and goes into reduced engine power mode, i wont elaborate on that since im sure you all know what i mean. when i was driving (10-15mph) the car seemed ok, but when i stopped the car sounded like i had an EXTREME cam in it, now i do have a cam but it never sounded like this. when i finally get home i tun the car off and back on to try and see whats up its still the same, i open the hood to try and scope things out, but i coulnnt hear any strange noises over my exhaust and mt noisy belt. then i go to feel my exhaust pressure (borla kit), the pipe from the muffler feels ok, but the straight pipe has really high bursty of pressure, maybe kind of like a clogged cat, but i have no cat!

so i had it towed to the nearest dealership and am awaiting word from them, from the searches i did i got that it may be something with the electronic throttle controll or the asr. Oh and also i already had my ses light for o2 sensor heater circuit and the normal o2 sensor light.

let me know if anybody has any ideas of whats up
    later,<br />alan<br />1999 bright red v6<br />3800 series III<br />208\\210 comp cam<br />3000 stall edge tc

Possible coil?

You could have the P300 code. Multiple random misfires.

Any word from the dealer yet?
    Justin<br /><a href=\"http://www.bass482.com/firebird/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird A4 Y87<br /></a>170.2rwhp/203rwtq (SAE Corrected)

Comment

Reduced engine power is going to be because of a problem with your Electronic Throttle Control. The ETC uses three channels from the gas pedal, if it detects errors on two of the channels at the same time, it will throw a code, and enter reduced engine power mode. Your rough idle could be a result of the reduced power mode, so try and get that cleared up first before you go after the idle.
      Also, check inside your throttlebody, and make sure that there isn't any coolant in there. I changed my TB, and the gasket didn't seal right, and was allowing coolant to blow up into the TB, which was causing misfires. So, make sure that your TB gasket didn't give up. My suggestion would be to pull you TB off, because it could also be leaking into the ideal air control circuit.

Check the old gasket to see if it's wet anywhere before you take it off.

Then, when you reinstall your TB, put RTV on both sides of the gasket (make sure and spread it thinly, so it doesn't squish into you IAC channel). The RTV fixed the leak on my new TB.
      Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

I've had that same problem with the hesitation and sputtering exhaust... twice.

The first time the EGR was clogged up. I had it cleaned out instead of replacing it and all was well. A few months later the problem returned so I figured it was the EGR valve again. It ended up being 2 bad coils. Two totally different problems but the same symptoms.
        <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

thanks for the input guys,

im gonna call the guy who's looking at it today and try to see if there are any results yet. its kinda hard since im away at school and i hav no connections or another car. i had the car towed to the nearest dealership and after the looked at it they decided not to work on it cuz it had too many aftermarket parts. so after som research with the yellowpages and the phone, i found a guy at a dealership that seems to know what he's talkin about, so i had it towed there, hes had it for 2 days now, and over the phone he thought it was something with the tb, but i dunno you guys all gave different examples that could be relevant to my car so i guess ill call him back and find out whats up.

btw, im in cincinnati if anyone is in the area and has any good feedback for me.
          later,<br />alan<br />1999 bright red v6<br />3800 series III<br />208\\210 comp cam<br />3000 stall edge tc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X