This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by $*Blake*$:
    i know at a stop light i can gun it and sit there for a second doing a burnout. tires arent bald just a natural beast.... i wish
    Ok, just so you guys are aware bald tires (given there is no cord showing) would give you more traction than new tires. Think about it... drag slicks are just like a bald tire. The reason the tread is on the tire is to give you good traction in wet weather.

-End of response to Blake's post-

I never really saw the point of doing a burnout on a street car. Your whole point should be to get moving once the light turns green. I'm actually trying to find ways to get my car to hook better.... chirps and burnouts are slippage that cause the car to lose speed during the launch. If that power were translated in to a non slipping launch the car would be that much faster in the takeoff. You know what burnouts say to me on a street car? "Look, I've got too much power for me and my car to handle"

Comment

Originally posted by Greg94Red392:
      If you're just lookin to impress someone, try turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other and then floor it. I dont know why b/c I dont know about physics and the like, but for some reason my tires would spin a lot easier when the wheel is turned. And since theres no traction you dont have to worry about your car lurching forward in the direction you have your wheel turned.. May want to try this first in an empty parking lot in case for some reason you do get traction. :rolleyes:
      [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] I can see the post now... So I was doing a burnout and all of a sudden my car did a donut into the car I was racing.

Comment

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] HAHAHAAHHAHAAHHA. The reason...lol.... ok the reason you can spin the tires easyer is because with you wheels turned it acts as a brake, or adds resistance. Do this, on a flat surface with your wheels straight put your car in neutral, get out and try to push the car, see how hard it is. Now turns the wheels all the way left or right, get out and try to push it, its at or near impossable. To make it simple your trying to push the tires sideways...lol very funny stuff.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

i have no problem spinning both my tires on dry pavement. even when stock, i could roast the hell out of them to about 30ish mph and now is even faster till i get traction. maybe you just have the motor to do it.
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by fenderman:
            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by $*Blake*$:
            i know at a stop light i can gun it and sit there for a second doing a burnout. tires arent bald just a natural beast.... i wish
            Ok, just so you guys are aware bald tires (given there is no cord showing) would give you more traction than new tires. Think about it... drag slicks are just like a bald tire. The reason the tread is on the tire is to give you good traction in wet weather.

I never really saw the point of doing a burnout on a street car. Your whole point should be to get moving once the light turns green. I'm actually trying to find ways to get my car to hook better.... chirps and burnouts are slippage that cause the car to lose speed during the launch. If that power were translated in to a non slipping launch the car would be that much faster in the takeoff. You know what burnouts say to me on a street car? "Look, I've got too much power for me and my car to handle"
            </font>[/QUOTE]anyone else share this therory about bald tires?

Comment

the theory makes sense but i dont know if the rubber they use in the treads is the same as in the shell area. i know for my snow tires the rubber changes when i get to like 10% so if the rubber is the same you should get better traction but if not then probably not.
              2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by fenderman:

</font>[/QUOTE]I don't know for sure, but I am almost positive that the type of rubber creates traction for drag slicks more than the non-existent tread. Slicks are normally a softer compound than street tires, but I could be wrong. the main reason that street tires have the tread patterns that they do is for safety and hydroplaning resistance.....

My 3.4 Camaro is selective on its burnouts. It always turns at least one tire (the right one), but usually turns both. Now that I have my winter weight (350 lbs) in the back, it is only able to spin one tire, but still does so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ault:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fenderman:

</font>[/QUOTE]I don't know for sure, but I am almost positive that the type of rubber creates traction for drag slicks more than the non-existent tread. Slicks are normally a softer compound than street tires, but I could be wrong. the main reason that street tires have the tread patterns that they do is for safety and hydroplaning resistance.....

My 3.4 Camaro is selective on its burnouts. It always turns at least one tire (the right one), but usually turns both. Now that I have my winter weight (350 lbs) in the back, it is only able to spin one tire, but still does so easily.
                  </font>[/QUOTE]You are both correct. The tread pattern is there to move water, snow, gravel, etc. If you are down to no tread then technically you have more surface area on the ground although I don't know if the tire would actually hold as well in real life. Drag slicks are made of different softer/sticker compounds and dont have to worry about things on the track. Hence no tread pattern.

Comment

Yea a drag slick isnt a race tire because its bald, its because its stickey. A street tire is made of a diffrent compound and gets slicker the balder it gets. Not just water but dust and sand and such will break your traction on a bald street tire on the street. A heated gooey drag slick will just absorb dust and sand or even small rocks. Oh and im not too sure about the 3400 but my 3800 roasts the tires so violently im afraid im gonna lock up an injector bouncing it off my rev limiter.

Comment

my 3.4 will roast the tires for 75 feet one wheel only. but in my experience street tires with no tread will not hook up. tried many times on the track and on the street

Comment

I can spin my 275's half the way through first and break loose on the second shift.

My car isn't exactly stock.
                        Cardomain

Comment

ha so stop hatin fenderman my response was intelligent...lol
                          2001 camaro a4 SOM vert <br />3800 series II <br />flowmasters american thunder <br />3.42 gears<br /><br />its not fast but i drive it like a natural beast

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X