Oil on Y Pipe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on Y Pipe???

I did an oil change a couple weeks ago, and now whenever I drive there is a stain of oil on the Y pipe right in front of the drain plug. Today I drove it hard, and smelled burning oil so I looked under the car and on the Y pipe it was smoking and there was a stain of oil. Is that oil there from when I changed the oil and it’s still burning off, or is it leaking? I’m starting to think it’s leaking. Did I over tighten the drain plug, or is the drain plug too loose? Or am I just worrying about nothing, and it’s just oil that spilled when I did the oil change and it’s burning off? Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 Z28 A4
    SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

I generally like to wipe around the drian plug and get all the dirt and grime off so if I ever suspect a leak, I can simply look and see.

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
    1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
    1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

I had a similar problem......mine is a small leak on the rear main seal....pain in the arss...yours could be different, may be the pan gasket is losing its seal, or your drain plug isnt tight enough or is faulty in which case try a new plug. Happy Hunting. [img]graemlins/barf.gif[/img]
      Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

Should I get a new Drain Plug and a little drain plug gasket? I was also thinking of getting some kind of de-greaser and wiping it on the oil pan and y pipe until they’re perfectly clean, then checking them again in a few days to see if there really is a leak. Does that sound like a good idea? Thanks!
        2002 Z28 A4
        SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

Comment

yeah, that would be the best thing to do in my opinion. that will only cost a little bit of time and money. take it to a self service car wash and power wash the underside really well after you degrease everything. degreaser works alot easier if the engine and components are warm/hot.
          Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

The GM part number for the oil drain plug *gasket* is #14090908. Comes in a package of 5.

It is a steel washer with a neoprene rubber seal molded in.
            I highly recommend it, no more leaks.
            Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by L36Camaro:
              Should I get a new Drain Plug and a little drain plug gasket? I was also thinking of getting some kind of de-greaser and wiping it on the oil pan and y pipe until they’re perfectly clean, then checking them again in a few days to see if there really is a leak. Does that sound like a good idea? Thanks!
              I would do that before I bought anything.

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
              1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
              1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex:
                The GM part number for the oil drain plug *gasket* is #14090908. Comes in a package of 5.
                Cool Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Also, what is the part number for a new Drain Plug? Can I get it from GM Parts Direct? Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                2002 Z28 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X