Tension Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tension Pulley

I just had my battery replaced (apparently my battery wasn't charging) at Pepboys where they informed me that my Tension Pulley and Vesper Belt was bad. I just had the belt and pulley replaced 2 months ago. So I look under the hood and see the belt is about to fall off the pulley. They told me it was 180.00 for the tension pulley and 110.00 for a new belt. The reason for it being 180.00 is that it's a dealer part, so here is my question: where can I find a tension pulley that wont cost me an arm?

I've looked around and saw ones for 14.95 and higher. Not quite sure if that is the same kind of pulley as the one for 180.00...

Re: Tension Pulley

110 for a new belt!!! i would never go there again if they are going to charge you that much. It takes all of 3 minutes to switch a belt.
    and i dont really know how it could go bad, how many miles do you have on your car? i have never heard of someone's tentioner going bad.

just get a 15mm socket put it on the tentioner and see if you can adjust the belt

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

The new belts I put on them 2 months ago has < 9,000 miles on them. Had everything done when I put the new transmission in. The car in total has 113,000.

Those prices were without labor. They were just quoting me on the pieces.

Comment

so they want 110 bucks for JUST a belt? there's something wrong with that.
        i think the chances are, there is nothing wrong with your tentioner. My car has 140k miles on it and i just changed the belt a little while ago with no problems. Check the belt patteren and make sure it's put on right.
        the tentioner is basicly just a spring loaded arm with a wheel on the end of it, i dont see how it could go bad

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

I'll take a 15mm socket wrench to it once it stops raining. I do see that it "looks like" the belt is about to come off one of the pulleys. I'll just see if I can move the belt back onto or adjust the pulley.

Comment

double check to see if it's routed right also, there should be a picture on one of the wheel wells. would suck to pay all that money and find out later the belt was routed wrong

Comment

you sure it is your pulley and not your tensioner assembly? I can see the tensioner assembly costing 180 bucks, but the pulley itself is a 15 dollar part. If your assembly is bad though and worn out that can cause your belt to walk.

Take your belt off and spin the pulley to hear how the bearing sounds. If it is loud then it is worn
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                you sure it is your pulley and not your tensioner assembly?
                Pretty sure... as the paper I have says under notes "Advice: Tension pulley is bad. Needs new tension pulley when possible." I'll take the belt off when it's done raining. I did move the belt over more (when the rain let up), but it just shifted back to where it was before.

Comment

you can get the whole tensioner assembly for $60 at rockauto

Comment

I replaced my belt and tensioner last month and I think the total cost for the parts was around $40 for the tensioner and $30 for the belt.

I was a very simple install.
                    Last edited by nascar24jd; 10-27-2007, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                      i dont really know how it could go bad, how many miles do you have on your car? i have never heard of someone's tentioner going bad.
                      At about 140K miles on my 96 the idler and tensioner pulleys exploded. I am still finding pieces of them in the hood insulation. So it is possible. Pretty easy to replace.

Comment

yeah i just finish replacing mine tensioner cuse it was making my belt walks then if any drop of water hits it falls off so got me a new its pretty easy to in stall and it comes with everthing u need cost me 70 bucks at auto zone with life time warrenty
                        2000 camaro rs:whisperlid, 2.5 magnaflow exhaust, catco high flow cat, fast toys cai, 3.73, 160 power stat, msd 8.5 wires ngk iridium spark plugs, hpp3, zzp w/p and alt. under drive pullies, 1.9 Rockers/LS6 Springs with ls1 retainers

Comment

Anyone got links to the websites/parts?

Comment

rockauto.com good prices. I've ordered some stuff here before.
                            Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

just remember when you are taking the pully off, it comes off oppisite. meaning you have to turn it to the right to take it off.
                              took me a little to figure that out lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X