Rattling noise infront of the passenger seat - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattling noise infront of the passenger seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling noise infront of the passenger seat

When I get the car up to 1000 and 1500 RPM, I notice a vibrating/buzzing noise coming from under the car, infront of the passenger seat. It's not very loud (atleast, not compared to the buzzing I used to have from an exhaust clamp hitting the floor pan). I'm GUESSING it's either the cat or heat shield (from what I've read here), but I don't know how to check either theory. How can I test to see if it's either of these? I also read that GM will replace a bad cat if the car has 80k miles (or 8 years) or less on it for no charge - is this still true after I got my catback?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Get under the car and hit or shake it. Had the rattle on my 94. Got it on the lift and found the shield was loose.

Comment

yeah, there are two shields above and around the cat. the big one and the little one in front of it. your car really shouldnt be having cat troubles yet but heck, **** happens
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

probably the convertor heat shields. had a similar problem with mine. the shields are fully crimped along the body of the convertor. this can lead to buzzing/rattling. the post-cat o2 sensor was also 'broken'. the crimp on the back gave way and it rattled as well as a bit of the ceramic inside. at certains rpms it would resonate and make an awful racket.

Comment

Until then, turn the radio up so you can't hear it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Just last week, I had my exhaust changed out and had the guy check for a rattle under the car. He found a loose connection on the cat heat shield....he retacked it...no more rattle. I'd go with the cat heat sheild...sounds like what I had going on.
            \"this isn\'t flying...its falling...with style!\"<br /> -Buzz Lightyear<br /><br /><br /> 96 bright red firebird, T-tops, monsoon CD Flowmaster catback dual exhaust <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/joyfellowship1\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/joyfellowship1</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://www.joyfellowshipchurch.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.joyfellowshipchurch.com</a>

Comment

Well, after breakfast I put the car up on rhino ramps and started hitting the heat shield and I found one place I'm thinking it might be hitting the body (there's about 1mm or less of clearance between them and it made a sound when I gave a nice tug and let go). After a shower, I'm going down to Home Depot to get a self taping screw and lock-washer and try to secure the shield there. Hopefully that'll fix it.
              <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

consider the stainless steel band clamp repair. they should have something big enough in the plumbing area to go around the cat..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X