Serious ignition problem!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious ignition problem!!

My 93 3.4 'maro won't start. I turn the key and all I hear is the relay clicking. Not the starter...nothing. Before, the starter might just click, then nothing and I'd have to keep clicking it, then it'd crank up. Now, nothing. I recently had to tighten down a nut on the starter solenoid that holds the positive cable on. Perhaps I knocked a wire loose? I cleaned the battery terminals and tightened them down. I have electricity. Everything in the car works....except the starter. Yesterday I cut the car off to get gas. When I tried to crank it back up, the starter grinded really slow. I had to get a friend to jump me off. Even then, I had to grind on it some to start the car. I've always had a little bit of a problem with starting the car, but it's been dying on me a few times lately. What is up with my car?!
    Originally posted by LETZRIDE
    I've never touched a rear end before

Re: Serious ignition problem!!

Have an DVOM electrical meter or Volt/ohm meter? Start At the battery. Make sure its good. Then check your connections, check for corrosion. Same thing for your power cord and ground strap, check for broken frayed or corrosion in the wires. Check connections to starter and relay, then starter and realy itself. If you go in that order and nothing shows up the ignition switch itself might be bad.
    1998 Camaro A4<br />K&N filter, MSD coils, MSD plug wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Flowmaster exhaust. 10.2@73.5-1/8mi

Comment

My guess would be the alternator.
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

goin with starter is gone on this one.. my blazer did just about the same thing for me when the starter died (even finally broke down on me at a gas station.. lol)

the clicking you hear could be the solenoid kicking out, but the starter motor not turning over... and that would make sense if you say that the car has been cranking over slowly recently...

Just wondering, but have you tried tapping on the starter housing when it wont start? The next time it just sits there and clicks, crawl under it with a hammer, and using the handle, tap on the housing of the starter... when starters are starting to go out, they develop "dead spots" on the internal armature.. tapping it with a hammer is sometimes enough to knock them off the dead spot and work temporarily..

But to be certain, have the battery load tested at a parts store like Advanced or Autozone.. they'll test it for free..
        Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Get the battery checked. Could be just an old battery that doesn't hold a charge that well, or like Shirl said, the alternator.
          '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
          '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
          '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

to check the starter with out crawling under the car do this: have you ever had to change your fuel filter and had to prime it? do the exact same thing but turn the key foward a lil more like you are gonna start it, do that about 10 times or so (or until you hear your bad starter). that is a simple way to see if its bad with out getting your hands dirty. good luck with it.

come get some
            http://www.canyoumaketheturn.com/

Comment

Usually when you turn your key and you hear a click..click..click. Its because you dont have 12v to you starter and its just the relay clickin. Start with your battery. Go from there
              1998 Camaro A4<br />K&N filter, MSD coils, MSD plug wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Flowmaster exhaust. 10.2@73.5-1/8mi

Comment

Originally posted by camaroman1181
                goin with starter is gone on this one.. my blazer did just about the same thing for me when the starter died (even finally broke down on me at a gas station.. lol)

the clicking you hear could be the solenoid kicking out, but the starter motor not turning over... and that would make sense if you say that the car has been cranking over slowly recently...

Just wondering, but have you tried tapping on the starter housing when it wont start? The next time it just sits there and clicks, crawl under it with a hammer, and using the handle, tap on the housing of the starter... when starters are starting to go out, they develop "dead spots" on the internal armature.. tapping it with a hammer is sometimes enough to knock them off the dead spot and work temporarily..

But to be certain, have the battery load tested at a parts store like Advanced or Autozone.. they'll test it for free..
                I found out what the problem was today and got it fixed. You were right. Starter was fried. It was just old. Got a reman one from AutoZone.
                Originally posted by LETZRIDE
                I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

Originally posted by turbohead2332
                  I found out what the problem was today and got it fixed. You were right. Starter was fried. It was just old. Got a reman one from AutoZone.
                  Excellent! Glad to hear you got it taken care of...
                  Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X