This sound like symptoms of plug wires/ plugs or misfire? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This sound like symptoms of plug wires/ plugs or misfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This sound like symptoms of plug wires/ plugs or misfire?

The car has a little trouble starting. If I don't give it gas when I start the car, it will die. I can drive the car fine under normal acceleration, but when the car idles, it is very rough, especially when I let off the brake and idle foward. When I do this, the car shakes and sputters. This just started happening today. The SES light is not on. I had my wires and plugs replaced 9k miles ago. The plugs are Bosch Platinum +2's, so I think maybe they got too hot. I'm just going to replace the plugs and wires tommorow with AC Delco products.

But if it is not the plugs or wires, the next step would be coil packs, right? How much are these and how hard are they to replace?

2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

i would point to the ignition except when you say that the car is "fine under normal acceleration." typically if you're having a misfire bad enough to kill the car, your SES light will come on because of your increased emissions and your acceleration will be awful and unspeakable... barely fast enough to get out of your own way.

a common problem is the ICM, though when the ICM goes out you almost instantly (within 2-3 minutes) get the SES light. coil packs are not hard to replace... probably not even 30 seconds a piece, but if you replace one, replace them all. these coils go out in groups. if you replace your ICM, replace your coil packs as well.

to "plug" (sorry about the pun) one of mustangeater's contributions, you might check out some of the ideas behind protecting your ignition components:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=78028

Comment

try cleaning your throttlebody. sounds like the idle air bypass might be clogged. the computer controls your idle so it has a small bypass it uses to let air by the throttle plate. if this is clogged the computer can have trouble finding a setting that gets enough air for the idle it wants to find.

Comment

Fuel filter maybe?
        -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

I changed the wires today, and the car runs fine. Thanks for your help guys, it would have cost 600-800 to get it done at the shop (or so I'm told), but I just did it for $30 autozone wires, lifetime warranty [img]smile.gif[/img] .
          2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

thats weird. if it does it again, check your mass air screen. if a screen is out of a car, or falls out, normally it will idle real rough, but under acceleration when the engine is bringing in a lot of air, itll run fine.

glad its fixed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X