my car wont start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my car wont start...

I dont know if this is the right thread... but here it goes...

7pm Canada Central Pacific Time....

-6 centigrade.... with a -10 windchill.... and yes... snow was everywhere...

i drove my car to drop of my moms hairdresser it took me around 20 mins to do that.. on my way home i suddenly heard a loud growl... i thought it had something to do with my car so i checked my dash and every thing's fine... i realized it was my stomach just craving for food... so i drove thru Bking and had a burger... after that i went home... as i was a block away from home i just decided to pull-over and just eat my burger there because if my mom figured out that i ate something not in my diet I will be in her diet... so i turned off the engine but had the music on* around 10-15 mins i can still remember the songs played*... after I ate i decided to go home now... but to my dismay my car wont start... it sounded like a a dead battery *flickering when you start* this happened to me last summer then i found out that the battery was low in water... but this time wasnt... so i thought maybe it was because i left the music on while eating... but i did that so many times before and this never happened... so I took my moms car * only a block away* and tried to jump start it... all of the equipment are fine.. even the battery meter went to almost 14v... but every time i tried to start it it just flicker again and the battery meter goes down... so i just left it there right now and ill just try to figure it out tomorrow morning... right now what i did is just took the battery out and have it charging...

but any suggestions would surely help...:naughty:
    Last edited by Byrd14; 11-19-2007, 12:32 AM.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
    Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Re: my car wont start...

charge your battery overnight and try again to start the car.if it starts check your voltage,a good alternator should produce 14 volts at idle,anything less than 13 indicates a weak alternator that is about to go out.if voltage is good your battery is probably weak and needs to be replaced,cold weather is hell on batteries.btw those wheels on your car rock!
    Last edited by 02transamws6; 11-19-2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Solenoid maybe. Starter possibly. Ignition switch was something else I was told in a semi related matter. Oh.. btw.. you wouldn't happen to have a remote car start in there would you?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242
        Solenoid maybe. Starter possibly. Ignition switch was something else I was told in a semi related matter. Oh.. btw.. you wouldn't happen to have a remote car start in there would you?
        no not yet... i got a kit for my b-day.. but im too busy to put it in... or rather to lazy...:naughty:

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Comment

Originally posted by Byrd14
          no not yet... i got a kit for my b-day.. but im too busy to put it in... or rather to lazy...:naughty:
          Yeah, when ya do install it keep an eye on that hood release sensor. I don't know which style you have but mine is a plastic button that loved to wreak havoc when I wanted to start my car. It's stupid.
          Oh yeah, and word of warning. Don't let Circuit City install anything. Even though it might be for "free" eh.. let's just say when it comes to them.. you get what you pay for. :rant:
          Oh yeah and since I did it recently and I absolutely love it.. if you haven't yet, upgrade your ground cables. It's easy as hell and can save you later annoyances. Seems like it would stress the battery less too, so that might be right up your alley.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

First, look at your dash. When the key is in the "ON" position, does the security light stay on or go off after like 10 seconds? If it stays on, you have a problem with your key cylinder, or the wiring from your VATS system to the ECM. Thats gonna suck cuz really, only dealers can fix it and it cost me like 500 bucks when it happened earlier this year... although you might be able to "reset" the system. i forget how to do it but a dealer would know. It involves like turning the key on and off like 10 times, taking out a fuse, doing an ancient indian rain dance and clicking your heels 3 times while yodeling.. its really weird.
            Next, do you hear the clicking from the starter trying to engage? When you've got a low battery, you'll still hear the starter click even tho it wont turn the engine. if its clicking, then the starter is good and you have other problems...
            if not, then my money is on a bad starter solenoid.
            I JUST had this happen to me. Usually these things go gradually, so try this: take a small hammer or a hockey stick or something and smack the starter solenoid firmly (the starter has two housings, one for the motor and one for the solenoid). if the solenoid is to blame, a few smacks and it SHOULD start going again, unless its completely fubar'd. It might also start up once the engine is completely cold again. The starter is located (on my 3.8L at least) directly underneath the exhaust manifold on teh drivers side. There is a heat shield that surrounds protects it so you might have to remove that to get to it if its in the way.
            Last edited by Camaro Dom; 11-19-2007, 02:22 AM.
            2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

it started... was it just because of the dead battery? alternator? starter? or my mom prayed to the heavens because i ate a burger?

Comment

prob.........the dead battery....mayb u were not getting enough cold cranking amps..

Comment

I'm tellin ya dude, upgrade those grounds.. Mine wasn't starting for some weird *** reason a few times one day.. seriously beats the **** outta me. Then I went home and changed the wires and not only did the car start up better than ever but it fixed a few other things.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

honestly, it might not even be the ground cables (they RARELY go bad)...

It STILL could be the starter solenoid, but you probably wanna scrub any corrosion off the body ground (look for the wire coming from the negative battery cable... the ground is where that wire bolts to the car's frame.) use a wire brush, with a baking soda/water paste and any corrosion should scrub right off...
                    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                      honestly, it might not even be the ground cables (they RARELY go bad)...

It STILL could be the starter solenoid, but you probably wanna scrub any corrosion off the body ground (look for the wire coming from the negative battery cable... the ground is where that wire bolts to the car's frame.) use a wire brush, with a baking soda/water paste and any corrosion should scrub right off...
                      Yeah I didn't intend to imply that it was for sure your ground cables so I agree with this guy too. It would be cheaper and alot easier to change or add larger ground cables and if the problem goes away.. hey, its fixed. If not, then you've eliminated a possible problem and finished something that should absolutely have been done anyways.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Also check your battery terminals. I had that problem with another car of mine.... the terminals get corroded. You get the voltage but not the current.
                        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

yeah i should clean the terminals too... white stuff were on it when i took it off.... :slap:

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell
                            Also check your battery terminals. I had that problem with another car of mine.... the terminals get corroded. You get the voltage but not the current.

yeah i would agree. One time my car wouldn't even turn over and for no particular reason. Turns out my battery terminals were loose and because of that there was tons of corrosion.... 1 piece of sandpaper later she fired right up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X