Car idles at 3,500! What would cause this? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car idles at 3,500! What would cause this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car idles at 3,500! What would cause this?

I just put a new upper/lower intake gasket on this 94 3.4 firebird and now it idles at 3,500. I have tried unhooking the throttle cable and unpluging the iac to no avail. What would cause this? I torqued all the bolts to spec and in sequence.

Re: Car idles at 3,500! What would cause this?

vacuum leak?

Comment

It would take a serious vacuum leak to make it rev that high correct?

How do you check for vacuum leaks when the motor is reving to 3500? It's kinda hard to hear things.

Comment

normally you can use propane ( or anything combustable really )and spray around where the leak might be, and it'll tame down a bit ( becuase it burns the propane, evening out the A/F ratio a bit )

if it does it now, and didnt before, its probally the intake manifold.

all vaccum lines are connected? gasket is laying flat? and yes, it would take a big vaccum leak to make it idle that high.

is the MAF hooked up? unplug it and see what happens. when you have a bad MAF, the car runs better with it unplugged.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

you changed the lower intake gasket too? did you use any RTV on teh gasket? I agree that it sounds like you have a very large leak somewhere.

Recheck all the vacuum lines to make sure you didnt tear or puncture one during the job, but it sounds like you should pull the manifolds off again and go from there..
          Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Well it definately was a big vacuum leak; the kit came with an incorrect gasket. So I put the new one on and boom it runs perfect. :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X