Cowl rubber...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowl rubber...?

Im putting a turbo in my car, FFF kit. I was told by the previous seller to remove the rubber by the cowl to outlet the heat from the turbo. He informed me that it would let the turbo run about 15-25 hp more efficient. Now should I remove this rubber or get a cowl induction hood/ or get the hood and do the same thing? Will it be a problem during rain? Its the rubber right where the top of the hood meets the cowl I presume.

Re: Cowl rubber...?

I removed it long ago...

No problems what so ever...

You can see heat rise from the vent...

Comment

it will let heat excape, but that much of a power increase is just stupid talk
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

When you're moving it draws air in, not out. The junction between hood and windshield is a high pressure area when the car is moving.
        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

hm ive never heard anyone removing it for that purpose.. dont see that itd do much good. interesting thought though.
          Dave:
          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

not gonna see a ricer gain like that from it. I would leave it alone to keep rain water out and off the coils as much as possible
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I removed it not looking for any gains. Any competent person will realize that. I removed for the sole purpose of keeping engine bay temps down.

At a stand still you can see heat vapors rise from the jam...low or high pressure, cooler air is introduced.

Rain doesn't generally make it in because the edge of the hood extends out futher than the jam...

It just clicks on or off...if you remove it and don't think it's worth it, snap it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                Rain doesn't generally make it in because the edge of the hood extends out futher than the jam...
                you're forgetting that all the water that gets on the windshield will roll down into your now-exposed engine bay when the car's sitting still. When driving in the rain, rainwater that gets on the hood will flow up under that precious edge you're gambling half your ignition system on. It doesn't take much water to screw up either the coil packs or ICM; I garuntee you that if you remove the weather stripping there, you will destroy your coil packs and ICM.

It just clicks on or off...if you remove it and don't think it's worth it, snap it back on.
                and add the cost of replacing one of your coil packs, or worse(more expensive), your ICM

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                  you're forgetting that all the water that gets on the windshield will roll down into your now-exposed engine bay when the car's sitting still. When driving in the rain, rainwater that gets on the hood will flow up under that precious edge you're gambling half your ignition system on. It doesn't take much water to screw up either the coil packs or ICM; I garuntee you that if you remove the weather stripping there, you will destroy your coil packs and ICM.

and add the cost of replacing one of your coil packs, or worse(more expensive), your ICM
                  Tell that to a guy with 250K on the clock and the only thing that failed is a water pump.

Have you even pulled your coil packs or module? I have have have rubber gaskets to protect them...and after 3 years without the hood jam in place...well, I can't say I've had any issues.

Besides, your cowl is still intact...any rain that rolls off your windshield would roll into the cowl and collect in the recess and drained on sides...regardless if the jam is there or not.

But all to their own...

Comment

^well i guess you've been a lucky kid. I'll just keep on protecting my delicate and expensive ingition components

Comment

^ Not a kid...

...won't say what I wanted to. We're all adults...different mods make our cars unique. That is all.
                      Last edited by Christopherrr; 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X