This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camaro for 2007!

I just got this newsletter from v6fbody.com, and the feature story was the return of the Camaro for 2007. The article looks pretty reliable, since it goes into detail about the platform and what not. Sadly there will be no 07 firebird. I pasted it below

Article is by:By Johnny Hunkins

Get Your Money Ready:
    The Camaro Is Back
    For 2007

Those with a passing familiarity with my time as editor of sister magazine GM High-Tech Performance can attest to the !:act that I've given GM its justly deserved lumps for killing off the Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird. Even in my short one-year tenure as editor of PHR, I've made the revival of the F-body somewhat of a battle cry. Apparently, you agree with me because in all my tirades I've yet to receive one letter or e-mail condemning my position while hundreds of you have telegraphed your support.

Together, we have sent the message over the past three years that we want our F-car back. And today, I'm pleased to announce with absolute certainty that it will be back for the 2007 model year. I'd like to thank all of you for supporting what, perhaps selfishly, I consider to be a personal crusade. When you think about it, this is a personal thing for all of us—even Mustang guys. (Hey, you're nothing without competition, right?) Just think: New V-8 Camaros and Mustangs lining up side-by-side, more powerful, safer and fuel-efficient than ever. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The details of the upcoming car are a little murky, but we can tell you for sure that the new Camaro will be rear-wheel drive and V-8-powered. (Phew!) As the months pass, we know more and more about the Zeta platform on which the Camaro will be based. The architecture will first become the home for a new Buick mid-lux car for the 2006 model year. They're calling it Velite—for now.
    The idea behind the Velite is simple. Turn Buick into an aspi-rational brand for young people with money, a la Lexus IS300. Buick will have to do this with rear-wheel drive to "sell" it to those crossing over from established rear-wheel drive brands such as Lexus, Infinity or BMW, and they'll have to do it with equal or better quality at a lower sticker price (at least initially). How committed is GM? Buick is killing the Park Avenue and revamping its entire product line in a bid for greater market share. The figures don't lie: The average age of the Buick customer is 60, and if something isn't done to bring in younger buyers, the Buick customer base will just die out, and take the brand with it.

As luck would have, the mechanical architecture and cost of the Zeta platform are right in the cross hairs of Camaro. Ironically, the success of Buick depends on the Velite being a profitable cost-effective car, meaning that Buick will have to share Zeta with other brands such as Chevrolet, Pontiac and Holden.

But Camaro will not be a rebadged Buick. With today's flexible design capability and streamlined design cycles, expect the Camaro to share only gray metal. Virtually all the important parts of Camaro will be different from the Velite in terms of appearance, ride, performance, and interior styling. Stuff you don't see that doesn't affect these critical areas will be either shared or derived from similar parts from the same supplier, thus saving cost. GM is pushing its suppliers hard to cut costs without cutting quality, and sharing sub-systems or components within a subsystem helps that happen.

Rumors of a new Camaro have been floating around since before production even stopped on the previous generation, but until now, there hasn't been solid proof. Perhaps in another era, we wouldn't be able to confirm this, but with GM cutting so many mid-level white-collar jobs, it was inevitable that more of the mundane design and styling tasks go to tier-one suppliers such as Delphi, who are currently bidding on the steering column and airbag safety system for the 2007 Camaro.

We're excited that Delphi—the world's largest automotive supplier—will be involved with Camaro. When it comes to vehicle safety, Delphi is a leader in the field. (In 1956, Delphi designed the first integrated padded instrument panel; in 1966, they developed the first 2- and 3-point safety harnesses; in 1973, the first production airbag restraint system; in 1996, the first airbag integrated into a steering wheel; and in 2001, the first passive occupant detection system.) As racers and gearheads, we don't give enough thought to how safe our cars are (or aren't!), but trust me, it's important, and we think Delphi is a great choice for the Camaro.

To every silver lining, however, there is a cloud. There will be no Pontiac Firebird. In a conversation reported by Ward's Auto World, GM product boss Bob Lutz acknowledged the end of the Firebird by stating, "Firebird's day is gone." We doubt anybody but hard-core Firebird enthusiasts will care though. One of the ideas behind Zeta is that it will underpin the new GTO once the current Holden-built run is over. Those wanting a smaller, less-expensive performance car from Pontiac need look no further than the rear-wheel drive Solstice, which is a no-brainer for a pumped-up version from Mark Reuss's crew at GM Performance Division.
    There will be plenty for everybody to cheer about without the Firebird. With the Mustang coming on line later this year and an SVT Cobra a year or two later there ought to be lots of choices for performance nuts on a budget. Add to the fray the new Corvette, The GTO and Solstice, the CTS-V from Cadillac, the Dodge Magnum Hemi RT and the new Charger, and you've got an embarrassment of riches for rear-wheel drive performance fans of all persuasions.

If your budget isn't in the new-car V-8 range, don't fret, the news is even better. All these new models will push used car prices down into the cellar. Used V-8 Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes and Mustangs will be cheaper—and faster—than the stratospherically-priced musclecars from the '60s. Right now, used LT1 Camaros and Firebirds can be had for $4,000. Fox Mustangs with V-8s go for half that.
    Now that's what I call progress!

wrong forum, and...

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bbecker/timeline.jpg

Comment

Well, I can believe it- although this is the first that I have heard of the "Zeta" platform. I had a lot of suspicions when I saw an interview with one of the leading engineers of the (delta, beta? cant remember, the Pontiac Solstice and Chevy Nomad) platform, and what really caught my attention was how scaleable it was, obviously, the Nomad was quite a bit larger than the Solstice, but still used the same basic chassis, just scaled larger. Since it's rear wheel drive, I assumed that a new Camaro/Firebird would find it's way out of it. This is indeed good news if it's true.

Although, if they plan on it being an 07 model year, they had better get cracking on it- I would think that they would have drawings and/or concept cars built by now. 07 Model years are only a little more than a year away! I'll keep my eyes peeled believe it until I have a reason not to.

Brendan
      2000 Camaro L36 M49
      84 VW Scirocco 8v
      I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess.....<br /><br />-Red Green

Comment

Originally posted by jdubs:
        To every silver lining, however, there is a cloud. There will be no Pontiac Firebird. In a conversation reported by Ward's Auto World, GM product boss Bob Lutz acknowledged the end of the Firebird by stating, "Firebird's day is gone." We doubt anybody but hard-core Firebird enthusiasts will care though.
        You never know, there may be a Firebird. How can they be SO sure... they eliminate the line, then they want to start it up again after 2007. Goes to show they don't even know what they are doing sometimes. And who other than hard-core Camaro enthusiasts would care if they brought back the Firebird and not the Camaro? Personally I prefer the bird. Always have, and always will. No offence to you Camaro owners, but the bird *always WAS* a better looking car, interior and exterior wise. Especially interior. GM is making another mistake if they bring back the one without the other. If they opt for one model, then they should just eliminate the Camaro and Firebird name, and call it something else. But clearly market it as a merging and combination of the Camaro and Firebird. But that would probably make too much sense.

Comment

this is old news and they wont get ride of the firebird. i just think that dont want to over shadow the camaro by having them come out at the same time. plus, they haveto make a better body than the last firebird, porbably alittle hard.
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Scarano:
            You never know, there may be a Firebird. How can they be SO sure... they eliminate the line, then they want to start it up again after 2007. Goes to show they don't even know what they are doing sometimes.
            it's called marketing... sales for f-bodies were going downhill, so they eliminated them. then after a few years, they bring it back and with all the hype, sales go up again. they do this all the time with cars when their sales go downhill. sometimes works great, sometimes it's a flop.
            1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

Originally posted by j_downey50:
              it's called marketing... sales for f-bodies were going downhill, so they eliminated them. then after a few years, they bring it back and with all the hype, sales go up again. they do this all the time with cars when their sales go downhill. sometimes works great, sometimes it's a flop.
              I hope you're right. I would love to see the Firebird come back. Of course, the Camaro too. I think one way GM can make sure that the cars are popular as ever, is to make sure they don't price them through the roof.

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by j_downey50:
                I hope you're right. I would love to see the Firebird come back. Of course, the Camaro too. I think one way GM can make sure that the cars are popular as ever, is to make sure they don't price them through the roof. </font>[/QUOTE]i'm sure the price tag on them will be something to battle the mustang's. that is, if they DO bring back the f-body.
                1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

the firebird wasn't always better looking. in both the 1st and 3rd gens, the camaro (w/ground effects) was the better-looking F-Body. in 2nd and 4th gens, the Trans Am was the best-looking model.
                  \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

this has been posted like a 100 times now, and with little known about hte new camaro, who is to say they are ruling out the firebird, i prefer the bird of the camaro personally, but from what i hear they are gonna put the camaro out and see how it sells and if it sells good then they are gonna bring back the bird the following year
                    94 Pontiac Firebird-V6<br />-NxWetKit,RamAir,MSD Dis4, Coils,&Wires,DynomaxExhuast w/testpipe,NittoDR\'s&DunlopSPort5000s,17\"CrEagleAl loys,TransgoShifKit/VetteServo<br />91 Jeep Wrangler-5.7 Chevy350<br />-6\"ProComp SuspensionLift,M/T BajaClaws35x12.5,& more goodies

Comment

Originally posted by skorpion317:
                      the firebird wasn't always better looking. in both the 1st and 3rd gens, the camaro (w/ground effects) was the better-looking F-Body. in 2nd and 4th gens, the Trans Am was the best-looking model.
                      agreed.

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jdubs:
                        To every silver lining, however, there is a cloud. There will be no Pontiac Firebird. In a conversation reported by Ward's Auto World, GM product boss Bob Lutz acknowledged the end of the Firebird by stating, "Firebird's day is gone." We doubt anybody but hard-core Firebird enthusiasts will care though.
                        You never know, there may be a Firebird. How can they be SO sure... they eliminate the line, then they want to start it up again after 2007. Goes to show they don't even know what they are doing sometimes. And who other than hard-core Camaro enthusiasts would care if they brought back the Firebird and not the Camaro? Personally I prefer the bird. Always have, and always will. No offence to you Camaro owners, but the bird *always WAS* a better looking car, interior and exterior wise. Especially interior. GM is making another mistake if they bring back the one without the other. If they opt for one model, then they should just eliminate the Camaro and Firebird name, and call it something else. But clearly market it as a merging and combination of the Camaro and Firebird. But that would probably make too much sense. </font>[/QUOTE]This guy has a point about the interior on Camaro's. It's 2 plain!!! I mean look at the other cars that are like 2003's. My 2000 interior feels so plain!!! They could've done much better. The FireBird's interior is so much sportier looking and kinda gives it the feeling of a lively personality, but my Camaro'z is like just o.k. I like my exterior but the new FireBird has much more of a powerful striking appearance 2 it. I like how I can change more of my appearance though. I hope I get 2 be featured F-Body soon.
                        Cardomain&gt; <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/7camaro7\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/7camaro7</a> <br />CarSponsorships.com&gt; <a href=\"http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/sponsor.php?id=2358\"&gt;\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/sponsor.php?id=2358\"&gt;</a> <br />Webmaster\'s Earn Money Here&gt; <a href=\"http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/index.php?ref=2358\"&gt;\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/index.php?ref=2358\"&gt;</a>

Comment

I hope both come back eventually, and with lots of improvements. The new Mustang is looking really nice, I guess I am just a sucker for the retro look.

GM CEO Richard Wagoner was at my school this spring to give a talk about careers, etc. I had a chance to shake his hand and chat with him after the meeting... I told him how I was a huge F-body and especially Firebird fan and expressed my sadness of their deaths. Well he laughed and said I should be mad at him since he played a big role in killing the F-body. He mentioned safety, "customer/market desire", etc. I mentioned the rumor of new Camaro, and he just kinda laughed over it and gave the usual vague corporate answer (read: nothing useful). I asked him what car he was driving at the time, and he had a Cady CTS, his wife had some SUV, and his son was testing out the new Chevy SSR. He said he was in the process of buying his neighbor's house so they'll have more garage space... oh well, I'll be happy as long as the firebird and camaro are back eventually!
                          \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

The reason the are saying the firebird is dead is probly because the Camaro is going to be on the same chassis type as the GTO, if I read the article right. The firebird would cut into GTO sales. Pontiac will have enough to replace it with the GTO and Solstice.
                            UAH FSAE<br />Chief Engineer<br /> <a href=\"http://chargermotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://chargermotorsports.com</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/camaronat\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/camaronat</a>

Comment

i agree, i think pontiac is set in sports cars once the solstice comes out. they have basically split the firebird into two catagories, 1 being the solstice which is a two seater true sports car but wnet the path of a small tuned engine on a light chassi, and the other car deffinately being the GTO with its musclecar rumble yet room for 4 and more comfort than the firebird but with all the power.
                              2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X